93 yamaha alarm sounding

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 93 yamaha alarm sounding

O.K.,
:UPDATE
Changed the waterpump and took the boat out. Ran the engine at lower speads for about an hour and 1/2. No problems...Jumped up to 4600 RPMS and within 10 minute....temp light and alarm. Shut the engine down and waited 2 minutes..alrm still sounded. I fired the engine and allowed to run at idle while alarm continued to sound. Withing a few minute with the engine running, the alarm turns off and so does the light. I run the engine at slower speed back to Marina and here I am....HELP!

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also,
PSI guage on that engine is showing less than 5 psi and sometime never even rises and thats at high speed. Pee stream looks good but appears to be weak compaired to Strb. engine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a cooling system tune up also includes t-stats and pressure valve grommet replacement.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Robo,
Can you please describe both of these items locations.
G

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Located t-stats and removed them for inspection. They do not look good at all. Not sure when they were replaced last. Very dirty water ways. Any suggestions on what to use to flush a dirty system and how to get most of this junk out of waterways?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not really, remove the pressure control valve and the grommet. replace the grommet after carefully cleaning the pocket.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE 7142006..:
Replaced TSTATS T-STATS and also replaced and popit gromit- gromit. Took engine out for run and had no alarm while idle by dock. Ran 4000 RPMs, RPM's and alarm begins sounding again on PORT engine. This time I had my IR guage. guage. Tool several readings while alarm sounded....
Hottest spot clearly Cylander the Cylander 161 at 161 164. to 164 deg.. Block and cover varied but 154 below 154 deg.

Restarted engine while alarm sounded and engined silentagain and alarm went silent....again retested while alarm off 142deg readings are around 142deg.

Did the process again with more or less same results tswitches this time I disconnected the t-switches on the Port engine, one at a time and determined Lside the cylinder head on the L-side of the engine is sounding the Tswitch.

Could this be a Starbord-? Can I change switched from Port to Starbord engine and see if it causes prob

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, any tips on removing the cylinder head. Is this a can of worm I don't want to mess with. Have done auto engine repair to heads, is this any more difficult?
HELP with any tips....

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really need to do as rodbolt says ,take the temperature switch out of the engine and test on the kitchen stove as the manual says.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll check today....any advice on removing the cyl-head. Does the cover need to come off first?

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here I am again,....O.K., tested the switches and they apear to be working properly, Also swamped them on each engine and the problem remained in the PORT engine...alarm sounds...

Help

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

Dude...then alarms ain't soundin for nuthin. If you had check the switchs first, like ask to, you would have saved your self alot trouble.

Get someone who knows how to flush your cooling system or your gonna burn your motor up.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Randy 252,
I'm learning here and thats why I'm here. Thanks for your input but your criticism on the order that I go about troubleshooting is not appreciated. How about giving some instruction on how I can flush the cooling system myself. I'm a working guy looking to learn out my engines and save a few bucks along the way....

Please, do your part and keep this forum constructive if you have good input...

Big G!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

sunpacman, this is a voluntary forum for those who participate. No one is paid for the information offered to fellow boaters in need of help. You have been offered information from people with many years of experience on how to do the basic trouble shooting for the problem and chose to ignore it. You have been rightly critized for your demand for an instant solution with out the bother of doing the basic work done by these people over and over in order to solve the problem.

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SunpacMan -

With all due respect, look at what Rodbolt recommended and wait for him to give you further advice. He is a master mech who has earned all of our respect and appreciation.

From all that I have learned in the 1000's of hours of reading this (and other) board, if you have a temp light/warning, do not run the boat till you solve the problem.

If you absolutely have to run the boat, keep the speed down below the overheat level.

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

sunpacman,

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings to bad....Just wanted you to relize that you could damage your motor.

Trouble shooting is taking one item at a time and rule it out. Its a step by step process. It can save you money!!

I to am a working man who will try to fix things that don't work, I also am not a fool when it comes to thing beyond my capabilities.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:
O.K. I went back and read all post to be sure I wasn't missing anything or suggestions....Heres the work done so far....
1. Waterpumps..needed changing I'm sure and did replace with the new houseing cover.
2. Changed both T-stats and new gaskets.
3. Cleaned Pop-it valve carefuly housing and replaced..gasket also.
4. Just moments ago, pulled both T-switches and tested on stove...one closed at 190 deg. the other 202 deg.

Engine shows good stream at idle and alarm sounds only when running at higher speeds. Oh, one last thing...the guage is showing little to no PSI on that engine.

I went ahead and pulled the plugs to see if I could find water and they looked as though the engine may be a little rich(they were slightly wet with oil) I think I've followed everything so far but can't seem to put this problem to rest...

My frustratious with this problem is something everyone here has gone through at some point or another. I'm trying everything suggested and do appreciat the help. Its like not being able to find your keys and you've checked all the normal places for them yet you just cant find them.....

I wouldn't be here looking for help if I didn't realize the quality of expertise that can be drawn on form this forum but thanks for the reminder....

Any further area that I can check...I'm at a loss yet wiling to try anything at this point. I just wanna get back on the water.

Big G.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was told today that the problem must be a clog in cylander head water ways. It was suggested that as a final attempt before removing the head, try pouring Muratic Acid down through the thermostat port and allow that to flow through the engine. Then flush with lots of fresh water....
Has anyone tried this before or would this be just fishin and the real solution is to remove the head?
Big G

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think your going to get a professional mechanic to give you an answer but you might try it, and muratic acid does knock scale loose in a comode but that with water being present but your dealing with aluminum but it's your engine but I would put the acid in a plastic drum and fill with water and let the pump drive the solution although being on your new impeller you may want to put the old one back in for the experiment and thats all it is.My guess would be to let it run for 30 minutes and then flush with good water. It's your engine ,let us know the outcome.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot something .....be very careful with the fumes around family they can over-take you in a heartbeat.