93 Johnson 200 carb rebuild

tvtech

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

​I have a Johnson '93 200 HP (J200STLETC) and have owned for several years. It was always a difficult starter and would appear to flood and I would have to wait 30 minutes or so to try again. Once I got it going, runs like a champ.

​I also noticed the bulb would not become firm when priming and gas would leak out of the bottom of the silencer. I removed the silencer and noticed that the lowest (lower left as you look back at the engine) carb would leak fuel. Hence my thinking it would not prime. Stuck open float maybe?

​I do have the shop manual and took the unprecedented move of rebuilding that carb. (Kit # 435677) It went well, no more leaking, and it appears to prime much better. I have never rebuilt a carb in my life but I could not find the "clip" on the teardown that holds the needle to the float. May have been the reason it was leaking??

​The manual says to disengage the linkage when removing the carb. All I did was take out 4 bolts and disco the fuel line and there it was free in my hand. I may be nuts but does this thing have 6 carbs?? My concern is safety. If I fire this beast up, based on my story above, have I missed something big. Again I'm a neophyte at carbs and would truly appreciate any advice I could get.

​Sorry long post.

Nick Bennetts

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is 1 carburetor for each cylinder.------Are you pushing in the key while cranking it over for cold starting ?

tvtech

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I do. I know it hits the primer solenoid ( which I have replaced) which allows fuel to go directly into each cylinder for cold starts. Thanks for reassuring me there are 6 carburetors. So there is no linkage mechanism to worry about? Engine speed is simply controlled by the "butterfly" valves?