-92 V4 90 Driveshaft pinion wear - advice?

oebb

Cadet
Hi folks!
When I drained the gearhouse oil last season there was quite a lot of fine grained "shrapnel". I was a bit suspicious on the amount but decided that it was within limits. The oil had some water in it. This season I had a lot of metal - the plugs (upper and lower) where full and the lower plug also had a small metal "piece" attached to it. Scary (barely visible on pic 1 to the right).

I took the gearhouse apart (got an OMC service manual and the flyweel puller).
The driveshaft pinion show excessive wear and is partly broken (see pic 2). There is little wear on the forward pinion (pic 3) and no visible wear on the reverse (quite naturally). I'm quite happy I took the decision to tear it apart...
I've had the engine for 5 years and I've put quite a lot of hours on to it (and no idea on how many hours it's been running before I got it). A positive thing was that I could not find any more metal shrapnel when taking the gearhouse apart. All bearings look and feel ok as far as I can see. As next step I'm thinking of:
- thoroughly clean everything
- replace seals
- replace the driveshaft pinion
- possibly replace the forward pinion

So to the questions
1. Any idea on why the excessive wear (natural / water leakage / bad shimming / other bad adjustment)?
2. Does the wear on the forward pinion motivate a change of it?
3. Any other things I should change or double check when I have everything in pieces?

Thanks in advance!

/Mikael

20131227_094420.jpg 20140110_152450.jpg 20140110_152950.jpg

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: -92 V4 90 Driveshaft pinion wear - advice?

It would be best to replace any and all items if they look like any would be in question. It could save you another tear down and $$$ if it goes bad in a short period of time. In other words if you think it is in question replace it. Water, wear, an time takes a toll on metal parts.
JMO
Oldman570

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I would be willing to bet that you have to buy the pinion and forward as a set.-----Then install the pinion on the driveshaft and take it to a shop for proper shimming.----Take all the thrust bearing components with you.---Should take but minutes to determine the correct shimming.------Use the correct oil and the proper procedure to refill the lower unit.

oebb

Cadet

Ok thanks. Actually the driveshaft pinion is available separately on ebay, But I'll see if I can find a shop here (in Sweden) that actually knows how to do the shimming.

/Mikael

Capt Ken

Commander

To be honest, with that much metal I'd be replacing bearings and all but the problem is, you can buy a new unit cheaper than what it will cost to repair this one. I believe they sell the units on this site and they have a 3 year warranty.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Sure you can buy a single item on FLEA-BAY----The fact is that these parts are hard working parts and come from the factory as a " matched set " ----With that amount of damage you must replace both in order for this repair to last.---Any authorized OMC / BRP dealer will have the universal shimming tool.----Determining the correct shim takes but minutes.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the above. You need both the pinion and forward gears. And the proper shimming.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

+2. Not to say you cain't mix'n match. I have on occasion. But it's best to buy a matched set.