92 TE60TLENE upper bearing o-ring leaking

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
That's assuring. I've been in the shop cleaning up some things and noticed there is no tapered alignment pin for the case halves. The hole is there but empty. Maybe related to the case seal failure? I will add one to my list to order. I will go through the carbs and replace the water pump wile I'm waiting for the rest of my parts for sealing the case.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
Here is an update in case anyone is interested.

I was able to replace the upper o-ring and seal without unbolting the rods. I just lifted the crank enough to slide off the upper bearing..

I learned a little trick to clean the old gel-seal, spraying with carb cleaner then using the razor blade with the fluid still on the surface made the gel-seal come off ten times easier than when dry. The carb cleaner didn't soften the old gel-seal at all but seemed to get it to release from the case.

I was very careful when installing the case cover to be sure all dowels were in the alignment holes in the bearings making sure the case fit flush without any pressure at all, took a try or two. The next day I used some soapy water turning the crank by hand to test the seal without seeing any signs of a leak.

Just finished installing the power head. Still need to clean out the fuel tank, replace the water pump, gear oil change, link & sync then its off to the boat ramp for a test firing.

I don't know if the case leak was the sole source of the reason of the engine of the engine running badly but I knew this had to be repaired before the engine was damaged from running lean. If I need help from here I will be certain to ask the iboat experts for advice.

A big thanks Bosunsmate and racerone for taking the time to assist me.