92 88 SPL trim up does not always work, button works and relay clicks but no motor on

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
88 spl trim problem. Most of the time when I press the trim up button I hear the relay click the motor does not come on or move up. I have to click it several times and finally it will move. When the engine is running and I am cruising in gear it seems to trim up and down just fine. It seems to happen only on the battery but my battery is fully charged and producing 12.6 V. I have also put a charger on the battery while pressing the trim button and it still does not help. Because I hear the relay click I would think it is a low-voltage problem especially that it works while running but I'm just not sure because the battery is producing enough voltage and amperage. The battery starts the motor just fine. The trim down motor works just fine always.
Any suggestions as to what this may be, a relay going bad perhaps?
Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 88 SPL trim up does not always work, button works and relay clicks but no moto

That trim electrical box has a matched pair of trim relays in it. Switch them and see if anything changes.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 92 88 SPL trim up does not always work, button works and relay clicks but no moto

Odd that it works okay when cruising?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Switching the relays is a good idea but they are in an inaccessible spot. I wanted to get some opinions before I tore up the back of my boat to get to them.
It is odd that it only works when running. thats what made me think about lower voltage being a problem but not cause. If the contacts were worn or dirty on the relay they may work with higher voltage better.
It seemed sometimes when it first started that I could press the button harder or jiggle it a little while pressing and it would work. That may just have been my imagination and just coincidence that it came on periodically.
I have to take the battery out and probably cut some fiberglass to get to the area the relays and breaker panel were mounted. It is a 15 foot Larson hull bow rider with moulded in seating that gets in the way.
Being the relay clicks I am assuming the switch works to the relay but the high-voltage for the motor is not being passed

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Rap the trim motor with a screw driver handle once and see what happens. You may have a stuck brush.

Last edited:

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Tks boobie going to try that when i have someone to hold the switch...or maybe i can rig something to hold it in

V153

Lieutenant Commander

You may have a stuck brush.
When the motor's runnin everything's jiggling around so it works okay. When the motor ain't runnin' it sticks. That makes sense I s'pose?

They're a pita to get at but mebbe a trim motor inspection is in order?

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had a similar problem, the solenoid clicked but it didn't make the connection to make the tilt motor work. I jumped it with a large wire and it worked. I changed the solenoid and it has been good ever since.
I think the solenoid internally gets corroded and doesn't make a electrical connection even if you have a audible click.
you can replace it with a oem style or go with a new relay style.