92 60 hp Johnson won't stay running

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Outboard hard to start, when started - will run for 5-10 seconds and stop, even if you raise warmup lever for more rpm same results. Cleaned carbs, checked spark, checked compression, changed plugs
Oil has been bypassed on VRO.
See air bubbles at clear fitting between carbs and VRO when engine shuts off and I hear click from VRO.
bypassed VRO with fuel tank and hose and I can keep her running till engine collapses primer bulb.

bad VRO or is she sucking air from some where - Primary?

Thanks
Ermess

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 92 60 hp Johnson won't stay running

..."I can keep her running till engine collapses primer bulb"....there's a red flag. The primer bulb shouldn't be sucked flat. Check the tank vent or find a blocked fuel hose between the bulb and the tank, possibly a blocked tank filter screen or check valve.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Checked all fuel lines, Checked primer bulb, Checked pulse fitting on engine,Bench tested VRO (PSI & Vacum) everything passed. I took carbs off, flowed all circuits, checked recirc lines-no clogs.
Engine still will only start and run for about 10 seconds regardless if idling or using warmup

Could Primer be causing the problem.

If I get it to run long enough, I can keep her running by restricting air flow to middle carb?

Baffled
Texred

Walker

Captain

..."I can keep her running till engine collapses primer bulb"....there's a red flag. The primer bulb shouldn't be sucked flat. Check the tank vent or find a blocked fuel hose between the bulb and the tank, possibly a blocked tank filter screen or check valve.

There's your answer right there.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That situation only ocurred when I bypassed the fuel pump (VRO) and hooked gas tank directly to carbs.

Since then I have eliminated VRO(as per shop manual), Fuel lines, primer bulb, and 6 gallon tank (replaced with new).

Went thru carbs for a 3rd time - flowed every circuit

Starts and runs on a hose, checked and set timing.

Took to water and water tested - ran perfect for 10 minutes - brought her back to idle and she died.

From that point on she ran like the past two days - runs for 5-10 seconds and dies. Could not keep running back to dock, had to pull her in.

Any Ideas
thanks
Ermess

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I originally worked on this engine back in December 06, she had been sitting for a couple of years and the carbs were full of this black plasticized material, but I was able to clean her up and she ran fine. I had also replaced the primer cover (little square plastic cover) because the nipples for recirc lines were broken.
Engine has been rebuilt by somebody in the past and it is evident that the engine has had a rough life (by the welding that has been done on the case)

I am pretty good when it comes to fuel related issues, but this one has me baffled.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated
Ed