91 Reinell 191 vs 92 excel 185x

Mcboater669

Cadet
Going to look at both of these boats tomorrow, now assuming they both have good hull’s, good floors, just in great condition and great mechanical condition what would be easier in the long run to get parts, what am I looking at for ease of work 10 year auto mechanic and 8 years mobile heavy so I have the mechanical aptitude for most jobs.
91 Reinell OMC Cobra 5.0 HO
92 excell Volvo penta sp230

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Cost you more than the boat is worth if you go new. If you go used you need to source the used boat, pull all the gear, hope the PO did all the maintenance and never overheated the thing before offloading it.

Either boat is old enough that problems are more than likely lurking. I'd try to up the budget and go newer if you could.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both boats are over 30 years old. assume both are projects

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you, what about changing it over to an alpha 1 gen 2 with the correct gear?
if the boat was truly in great structural condition, best bet would be to get a rotten donor boat with a merc gen 2 or newer and swap pulleys to prop... but why? underneath it they are 30 year old boats. unless you are looking for a project.

Not familiar with the volvo nomenclature- what engine is the 230sp based on? if its one of the volvo blocks you probably have the same obsolete issue as with the cobra /omc

Bottom line neither will be easy to get parts stick to merc or newer VP SX drives behind GM motor

Since you are looking at older stuff and obviously mechanically inclined did you read any of the restoration threads here so you know what to look for in floors, transoms, and stringers. The mechanical issues are easy compared to redoing the structure of a boat. Think of it in old car terms, engine rebuild is easy, but body work and fixing body rot.....