91 Mercury 135 hp Blackmax

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 91 Mercury 135 hp Blackmax

Yes thats it.
sschefer, They didn't come with temp guages either. They only came with a warning buzzer. Everything else was optional.................

I think they were standard at least once they started using them in conjunction with the advance modules to limit rev's. I have both two wire and 4 wire senders.

The purpose of the bleeder hose comming off the top of the block is debatable since it can't bleed if the poppet is closed. From a close examination of the poppet valve housing, (just changed one last night), I think it is more of a equalizer to keep the poppet valve from rattling.

Dukedog

Captain

Guess I should have qualified that as tha "old days". Tha 90's are still "new ta me motors" :(...................

I got tha reg information from Merc many years ago when we were seenin' this NEW 40 amp stuff burnin' down.

Poppit rattle :confused: What is that :confused: Heard a lotta things with these motors but thats a first for me.......................

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Guess I should have qualified that as tha "old days". Tha 90's are still "new ta me motors" :(...................

I got tha reg information from Merc many years ago when we were seenin' this NEW 40 amp stuff burnin' down.

Poppit rattle :confused: What is that :confused: Heard a lotta things with these motors but thats a first for me.......................

The thermostats have bleed holes to take care of trapped air and once the poppet is open there's no way air in the system is going to make one bit of difference.

I'll tell you what, remove the hose and fittings and plug them. Then see how long it takes before you're suprised by zero water pressure at idle and realize your poppet valve is hung wide open.

It just happened to a buddy of mine who was told that the purpose was to remove trapped air around the water cooled regulator. He didn't have a water cooled regulator so he took it off and plugged.

I changed out his poppet valve because his water pressure dropped to nearly 0 but his engine was not overheating. What I found was the poppet valve had beat the heck out of the plastic block insert and the rubber grommet was no where to be found. He also kept telling me about this strange rattle that started around 3000 rpm. Just last night, he realized that the rattle started after he removed the hose and fittings.

He just called me a while ago and told me he took the boat out today and everything was fine and the rattle was gone.

Yup, gonna have to go with what I know and not what I hear on this one.;)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check the water flow diagram and you will see the 1/4 hose is under pressure from the water pump and FEEDING poppit valve housing, this is a modified copy of the old 78-79 150/175 poppit valve housing..and your buddy has got some dang good ears to hear 2 pieces of plastic rattling together at 3000rpm!!!!

Dukedog

Captain

Guess it just took Merc a little time ta figure out they need that hose! Something like 22 years ('76 ta '88) :cool:...................

That part has absolutly nothing ta do with tha t-stats. Ya get water there before it goes anywhere. Long BEFORE it gets to tha t-stats. From tha water pump it goes straight thru to tha top of tha block where tha plug or fitting for tha poppit hose is connected.......

Dukedog

Captain

That hose and bib were added when tha water cooled pos reg came out. It was supposed ta help eliminate air pockets in tha divider plate that was causing tha reg ta overheat. Didn't work out to well but they left tha hose from then on..

Think this is whats said................

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Think this is whats said................
Yup that's what you said and that's what a lot of folks say. I can only tell you what I know from hands on experience with a problem that was corrected when the tube was put back on.

FB --- According to my buddy, the rattle was loud enough to know something wasn't right. I can only go by what he told me and the evidence that was there to prove him right.

Just as a side note, I was running mine the same way but wasn't the one that told him to do it. I put mine back to stock last night and I changed my poppet which had hung open on me the last time out. I had made a WOT run accross the lake and when I came back to an idle I only had 3lbs of water pressure. A quick rap of the throttle brought it back and I wrote it off as a fluke.

After seeing his, I decided it wasn't a fluke and put mine back like it was supposed to be also.

Dukedog

Captain

If I had a rattle that I could hear at 3 grand and it went away for any reason I would be really nervous...............

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If I had a rattle that I could hear at 3 grand and it went away for any reason I would be really nervous...............

LOL me too. If it goes away when you fix it that's a different story:)

Dukedog

Captain

Meant by changin a coupla a plastic parts..............

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys,

I think I have solved my cooling issue. I originally put in the incorrect impeller. Im about to expose my stupidity, but oh well. When I took the foot off and was replacing the impeller, I took off the old one, sat it down, went up stairs and made me a glass of tea, went back down stairs, grabbed the OLD one, put it back on and put everything back together. Thats why the friggin thing didn't change. I was paying bills this morning at my desk and came across my new impeller and thought, "where did this come from", then it was like my wife slapped me across the face.....I INSTALLED THE OLD ONE!!!!!.:mad:. Oh well, took the old one off (and it was in terrible shape) installed the new one and it runs between 130-150. My last question about cooling.... When I rev it up beyond 2000 rpm's, it stops pee'ing and then when I back it back down to idle, it starts pee'ing again. It never runs hot or acts like its going to. Is this the way its suppose to be?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hey guys,

I think I have solved my cooling issue. I originally put in the incorrect impeller. Im about to expose my stupidity, but oh well. When I took the foot off and was replacing the impeller, I took off the old one, sat it down, went up stairs and made me a glass of tea, went back down stairs, grabbed the OLD one, put it back on and put everything back together. Thats why the friggin thing didn't change. I was paying bills this morning at my desk and came across my new impeller and thought, "where did this come from", then it was like my wife slapped me across the face.....I INSTALLED THE OLD ONE!!!!!.:mad:. Oh well, took the old one off (and it was in terrible shape) installed the new one and it runs between 130-150. My last question about cooling.... When I rev it up beyond 2000 rpm's, it stops pee'ing and then when I back it back down to idle, it starts pee'ing again. It never runs hot or acts like its going to. Is this the way its suppose to be?

Yes. The poppet is now opening like it should and the drop in temp is causing the thermostats to close like they should. The result.. no pee. Once the RPM's (Water pressure) drops the poppet will close and a pee stream will begin. It will be light at first then increase as the temp rises and the therms open back up again.

Good job in trouble shooting.:) FYI - I have both short and long term memory loss... They call it CRS and it starts around 50.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Meant by changin a coupla a plastic parts..............

Yep, I got ya.. The poppet had banged out the rubber grommet and was working on the hard plastic insert. It resonates pretty good when you tap it with a drift. No matter, it's fixed now and so is this guys problem. On to bigger and better things. Might get some work done on Frank this weekend but then again I just might go fishin.... yeah.. fishin sounds good.

j_martin

Admiral

Guess it just took Merc a little time ta figure out they need that hose! Something like 22 years ('76 ta '88) :cool:...................

That part has absolutly nothing ta do with tha t-stats. Ya get water there before it goes anywhere. Long BEFORE it gets to tha t-stats. From tha water pump it goes straight thru to tha top of tha block where tha plug or fitting for tha poppit hose is connected.......

A freshly started engine does fine till it fills up and presurizes because there's cooling water spraying in the top. That bufalo dung water cooled regulator, however, was such a barn burner that air bubbles in the water was enough to fry them.

Michael Bell

Recruit
Hey guys I've got a 91 mercury black Max 135 I'm trying to find out if the cowlings are interchangeable any help would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First start your own thread. Then tell us what years you want to interchange.