91 mercruiser 3.0. starter spinning, engine not so much.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 91 mercruiser 3.0. starter spinning, engine not so much.

Are you not reading my posts???? There is a clutch INSIDE the bendix. Without load the bendix will 'fly out' and spin until the cows come home, but you need to put a load on it (like what happens, I don't know, WHEN YOU TRY TO ENGAGE AN ENGINE!!!) to ensure the clutch is not slipping. Just take it to a starter rebuilder and have him (or her) replace the bendix.

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

I'm reading it achris, just trying to exhaust ALL my options...thank you for all the insight. it really is pointing a compass-less guy in the right direction.

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

Just ordered a new starter. Will let you know how it works out. Should I have been able to turn the bendix with my finger? Doesn't seem like I should have been able to, but i could. Anyway, it doesn't matter got a new one on the way. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep this post updated with results...hopefully from the boat ramp.

achris

... Should I have been able to turn the bendix with my finger? Doesn't seem like I should have been able to, but i could. ...

No, you should not be able to turn the bendix by hand. What that means is the clutch inside the bendix is slipping. I had a look on the interweb and found new bendix for less than $15.

Good luck with the new starter motor...

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

New starter arrived today and problem solved for now. I'll be taking a couple weeks of leave starting Wednesday and I plan on doing some boating and fishing, CAN'T WAIT! Thanks for all the help with troubleshooting. I plan on getting the old one rebuilt and keeping it for a spare. I also taught myself, (with help from here), to change the outdrive oil. has some small shavings on the plug, but nothing too terrible and luckily there appeared to be no water in the system. Yeah!

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

Had it out today and it ran great! Didn't catch any fish, but the boat did great on the shakedown. Any ideas on why the pull to the left at higher RPMs? I don't seem to have a trim tab on my outdrive, either way I can live with it. for $2k I am gonna get what I paid out of it...

achris

Do you have power steering? If not you need to fit a trim tab to the end of the drive (under the anti-cav plate). Check and see if there is a slot of one or if someone has incorrectly put a flat anode there...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'm not Chris, but here's where your zincs will go - the trim tab is a zinc. The one that looks like a fin is the one you need to ensure your boat handles right.

alpha-one-gen2-fin-SD.jpg

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Fishermark! My prop seems pretty huge though to be able to fit a trim tab underneath. It looks like PREV OWNER put a flat anode in that spot. I'd be worried that the prop would hit the trim tab if installed. I'm not convinced I have the right prop for the boat. It measures about 14 " in dia and I believe from the markings it's a 21 pitch prop.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I don't know if you have the right prop or not... but you can buy different shaped trim tabs - some are offset - some are more narrow. I've even had to take a cut off wheel and "clearance" some tabs.