91 Evinrude 15HP Rubber bushings Replacement..Short shaft,electric start.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at this thing in the daylight,I think my initial thoughts of bracket pin play are not the issue.
Just lifting the tiller handle up 3" from all way down,then down,up,I see the motor moving in relation to the base on the boat.
right where the tension bolt that adjusts friction on steering,hidden in housing.Must be rubber upper bushing here.
The motor has movement because dropping tiller handle is stretching the throttle cable,and the kill switch wire.
This is with motor not running,on my trailer.
It appears might need to replace both upper&lower rubber bushings,that upper looks to be a bear to get to?
Thanks for any thoughts on this!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the upper mounts are loose / worn out..--------Powerhead MUST be removed to replace those mounts.---------Mounts are spendy as well.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I`ve been looking into this,and now I`m sure the top right motor mount is broke,as I also see the telltale exhalst oil&gas seepage,and I can move this side more.​Looks like it`s $150 and much work.
I`m not much for redneck fixes,but suffered many pay cuts in the last year,and money is tight now.
what I did was to install a 18ga steel strap,thru the bottom mount bolt,as well as drilled&tapped 1/4"x 20 hole in the swivel base.
that base has thick&thin spots,but was able to get .5" of good threads.
Used stainless flat head bolt,and used RTV as threadlocker in this hole.I made a rubber gasket to buffer the vibration,as well as rubber gromets in the holes.
I painted this with proper blue.This fix is on the site you guys leadme to,I just adjusted it a little.
I also noticed to much forward movement on the lower,middle rubber block.I made a 1/4" rubber spacer,and added this under the original block,really tightened it up.
I also have much more work re-doing the rotten wooden core in the transom,so will be a while for me to see how it does.
I`ll know in the next few weeks how it will do.
This boat might see 20hrs a year,mostly once a year to fish for hybyrd striped bass headwaters of Cherokee lake.
I fish often here in New river in WV,but I bank or wade fish.A few trips on my one man pontoon as well.