'90 Evinrude 48 Mystery Part and Problems

Gene in CA

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I have a '62 17' Glaspar Cuddy Cabin with a '90 Evinrude 48hp outboard. I ran about with it in the ocean several times during the first season I had it, then it sat for a year, although I did attempt to tune it up. <br /><br />The motor has always delivered a nice cloud of smoke when idling or trolling...I see from previous posts that this is "normal"? How much is normal? I suspect that mine is a bit much. Also, at low speed, the engine would periodically die...after 5 minutes, or 10...it seemed random. It always started right back up, though.<br /><br />Recently, in preparation for getting underway again, I attempted once again to tune it up...to make it idle/troll smoothly and continuously, with hopefully less smoke.<br /><br />I have fresh fuel, 50:1 ratio, and finally, with the aid of starter fluid, got it going.<br /><br />The thing is still rough (idling with "earmuffs"), and doesn't die, unless I tweak the idle mixture screws too far, OR...when I move the lever on the canister-looking gizmo that is mounted midway-down on the starboard side of the powerhead...it has a 1" plastic, tapered lever that is reddish-orange in color. What is this thing?<br /><br />I do have a Johnson/Evinrude manual, (Seloc), but it has got to be the most confusing manual I have used for anything....mostly due to the fact that it covers so many engine models, but doesn't seem to match up to mine. I can't find mention of nor picture of the mystery part!<br /><br />Also, in this manual, it mentions that I should have variable low-spped adjustment under the air silencer cover, but in fact, I have fixed orifices. This tells me I have the wrong book...!?<br /><br />Please note...the engine runs crappily at low speed, but runs fine at upper speeds!<br /><br />I appreciate any suggestions...like what is a good book for my engine, and how do I positively ID my engine? I'd like to be able to work on outboards with the same success rate I do with VW's!<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '90 Evinrude 48 Mystery Part and Problems

Hello Gene and welcome to the forums.<br /><br />The little red lever gizmo is the manual primer. It's used to prime the engine for cold starting should the primer solenoid fail. When you turn the lever counterclock wise, it's in manual and shooting gas into the carb throats. It's normal position is down along the body of the solenoid.<br /><br />To make a positive ID of the engine, all you need is the Model number. Your model number is probably going to be E48ESLESA. Let us know if it's different.<br /><br />Get an OEM manual. Check the link below for a reprint.<br /><br /> http://ww3.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/ <br /><br />or<br /><br /> http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/ <br /><br />Keep us posted if you have any more questions. But do consider the OEM manual.

Gene in CA

Recruit
Re: '90 Evinrude 48 Mystery Part and Problems

Thanks OBJ,<br /><br />So I went out to check the model #, and I couldn't find it! But then, after REALLY looking, I found a sticker under grease on the mount. The number is: E48ESLCER Does this mean anything to you? How would that be different from the one you mentioned?<br /><br />Also, in case it is helpful, the markings on the engine cover say "Evinrude 48 SPL"<br /><br />Thanks!