90 Evinrude 25 hp revs and dies revs and dies

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice
Had a problem a couple weeks ago.
The motor would go to 1/3 throttle and die and just repeat itself. I found a problem in the fuel pump, the diaphragm return spring had fallen over. I put a fuel pump kit in and a carb kit also a water pump kit.
Trying it out today it ran very strong at full throttle. I had to play with the idle some. After trolling for 20 30 minutes I started to go back up river. As I throttled up the motor would die back. Rev up and then die back to idle over and over.
What could be my problem. I replaced all hoses and don't run ethanol fuel. Replaced the plugs.
At a loss
TJ

Pumping the bulb doesn't seem to help.
If it's spark what would cause the motor to rev up and then die back and rev up . Only takes a second or 2 to rev and then die.

Last edited:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 90 Evinrude 25 hp revs and dies revs and dies

Is it loosing spark? Does pumping the bulb help? Just trying to figure out if spark or gas issue.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Is the fuel tank venting?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

How long has it been since you dumped out you're gas tank and cleaned it? Water seems to accumulate at the bottom of the tank, and that is where the motor fuel suction hose is.

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice

My tank doesn't have a vent. must be built into the connection. Anybody know how to blow it out?
My tank was empty 2 weeks ago. no water in it.
I appreciate all the input.
I have to drive about 60 miles to test in a lake or river.None of the symptoms show up with the muffs on.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Seems that it may be you're high speed jet is plugging. I have the same motor as you have, and if you pull off the fuel line on the front of the carb, you can slide a carburetor cleaner straw into the fitting and be right in front of the jet orface, and giver a squirt. I have although, never seen an outboard gas tank without a vent. Must be new or somethin....:confused:

Last edited:

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice

I put a carb kit with a new needle and blew out all the holes including the main jet with the little tube in it.
It seems my inlet connection is on the bottom of the carb.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the primer inlet connection is on the front/bottom of the carb. The highspeed jet sets behind that connection.

Attachments

• Ev 25 Carb..jpg
    Ev 25 Carb..jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: