90 Etec tilt and trim pump leak

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I've looked for rebuild kits and prices range from $10 to $210 for the gaskets and o-rings. Anybody have any recommendations? None have any manufacturer listed and they all look about the same. I don't want to do this twice but spening 2-10X more for potentially the same thing kinda sucks. Thanks!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
do you have the manual ...some seals differ

check in at the ETEC user board to confirm part#

btw check oil type for ETEC T&T book says to use a special Evinrude T&T bio oil $$$$$ vs common mineral stuff $$

after much discussion on the ETEC board I used common T&T mineral oil
but you may wish to follow the book .. up to you.

My dealer did not even know about BIO oil specs and.... the hidden VST filter :-(

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
do you have the manual ...some seals differ

check in at the ETEC user board to confirm part#

btw check oil type for ETEC T&T book says to use a special Evinrude T&T bio oil $$$$$ vs common mineral stuff $$

after much discussion on the ETEC board I used common T&T mineral oil
but you may wish to follow the book .. up to you.

My dealer did not even know about BIO oil specs and.... the hidden VST filter :-(

I do have the manual but honestly hadn't looked at it yet, just online research.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion! I only have 1 seal leaking, same as the ETEC owners poster, and anything more than a couple $$ seemed like highway robbery.......$230 for OEM is beyond crazy!
Mine started leaking 3 years ago and after a long conversation with an Evinrude dealer who had also never heard of the bio stuff I too switched to the Yamaha mineral stuff he recommended. Seems to work just fine for me too,.
Again, thank you for the info, I was going to buy a $50 set but now I think I'll just go to the local hydraulic repair store for parts and spend the extra pile of leftover money on something more exciting.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Look up the rebuild kit OEM part number on Crowleymarine, and then see if an aftermarket kit is avail. The kit for my '98 Johnny 150HP motor is $100 at Crowley.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
OK, the original seal part # is AR 7979 and the size is 19x27x5, so that's good.
My questions: Should the outer seal have a spring in it or not?
The first kit I bought had a spring in it. With the spring in place it was a pretty tight fit and we broke the seal. I bought a cheaper kit and the outer seal didn't have a spring, it came with an O-ring that fit into that spot. The shaft went in well but I tried pushing the O-ring into the groove and ruined the seal.

I read around the internet a bit more and it sounds like there maybe shouldn't be a spring as that's a "rotary seal" and the trim pumps should have a "dust" seal. That person said something about the spring rusting and the seal failing. The 2 seals I had (with and without a spring) looked and felt identical but I'm guessing any differences may not be noticeable.

I ordered another kit and this one has a spring. My question: Do you think the seal with the spring is OK, and if so do I take the spring off before pushing the shaft through?

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
ask the folks on the E-TEC board ...the manual should be answering your questions .

sublauxation

Lieutenant
ask the folks on the E-TEC board ...the manual should be answering your questions .
Do you mean E-Tec owners Group at Barnacle Bills?
Unfortunately the manual shows little if anything.

The part# cross references to Yamaha and Volvo/Penta and I'm guessing most trim seals are similar so I was hoping someone had done one before.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
this may help

Thanks for the videos. I may be overthinking it as they all seem to gloss over the part where I'm stuck. I think the seal with the spring is technically wrong but will work and I shouldn't have tried to fit the o-ring into the one without the spring.

The etecowners forum seems to be down so unfortunately I can't see their diagrams. We'll see, need to get it working tonight for the weekend cabin trip!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
My conclusion......don't over think it!

-PR 7979 PT Is the original outer seal. size is 19x27x5 I think this and the inner seal are the only issues in most cases.

-If you buy a kit a lot of parts that come in the bag aren't needed.

-My local evinrude guy can't/won't confirm it but an outer seal without the spring was probably factory. If you get an outer seal with no spring and an o-ring that fits in the groove don't use that o-ring.

-Some kits have an o-ring for the inner seal, which may work but wasn't factory. If your kit comes with an actual oil seal for the inner seal make sure there is no o-ring in the groove.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
......AR7979-PT, not PR......
Doesn't matter as dealers don't recognize that number and only seem to sell it as a kit.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Oh, and most important, when bleeding it make sure you're aware of the Manual Relief Valve! I wasn't. My kid opened the valve and I didn't realize it.......which surely explains why I couldn't get it to bleed out. 5 turns of a screwdriver and she's working better than new.

Whole process should cost you about $10 for the 2 cap seals and $10 for some new fluid.