9.9 outboard recomendations

whatsagm

Seaman
Hello

I need to purchase a 9.9 or 9.5 hp my question is what do you recomend? In the past I have had many problems with johnson and evinrude products. I will say they were older models and understand this but it seems that everyone I have had was the same issues over and over. I have a 3.5hp sears gamefisher that I hear is a poor quailty outboard, but this little guy has had to be used many times when my POS johnson kept breaking in the middle of the lake. I have been leaning to Mercury. What do you guys think. Is it worth looking into newer Johnson products?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 outboard recomendations

Assume Johnson being part of Evinrude BRP family; 4 strokes portables up to 15 HP are rebadged Tohatsu models. More costly than same Tohatsu versions. Are 2 strokes engines still available at your location ? 9.9 is the restricted version to same 15 HP older brother. Has same CC, size and weight. If with no HP limit where you intend to go boating, go for the 15 model.

Happy Boating

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a newer 9.9 Merc 4 stroke bigfoot and a older 8 hp Merc 2 stroke. I bought the 4 stroke because I wouldn't need a separate fuel tank (main is a 4 stroke). In all honesty, the old 2 stroke starts and idles way better. If I had to replace my 9.9 (possible), I would go Yamaha or Honda for my kicker. The friends I have that own them (non-merc) run WAY better at idle. Rather disappointed in the Merc.
Just my .02

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You don't want a 9.5 anything, to be a 9.5 it would need to be very old.

2 stroke Merc 9.9s are good motors and if you don't want a J/E go that route, there are a lot of them to choose from. Yamaha 2 and 4 strokes are good. Like already mentioned, unfortunatly the 4 stroke Merc isn't quite as good as the others, it tends to idle a bit rough and exact RPMs are tough to control when trolling.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Older models = more maintenance and likelihood of failure. Evinrude / Johnson are generally pretty bullet proof with the required maintenance from my experience.

64osby

Admiral

I rebuilt a 1957 Johnson 10hp and it keeps going and going and......

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My Evinrude 9.5 is 43 years old and its the most dependable OB I ever saw. Ditto for my 'Rude 9.9, but its only 29 years old.

Johnson is out of business. Mercs are fiddle often motors, unless you get a recent model, which is a chinamotor.

whatsagm

Seaman

I don't understand this. Every J/E I have owned has been a big POS. I fix one thing use it once and now it needs something else. I had a boat with a 75 hp Johnson. Full tune up and new impeller, first time out ran ok. next time out it died and had to use my kicker to get back in. I ended up getting rid of the boat and buying an I/O and have never looked back. Now I bought a boat, 15ft aluminum fishing boat for the smaller inland and 10hp under lakes. The 10hp 1957 Johnson that came with the boat is starting to feel like a lemon. Have it in a bucket of water trying to start it, the recoil spring breaks. I figure its a 1957 prob orginal. I replace that get it started and its missing like crazy. It now needs coils. I just feel this is going to turn into a money pit. Thats why I'm considering buying a brand new 9.9. I just seem to have bad luck with J/E

64osby

Admiral

I would guess it's a matter how you define a money pit. I went through 5 motors of similar vintage in the last year. The most expensive was $300, includes cost to buy and all parts needed. The least expensive was $130. All run great and should continue to do so for a long time. If you only address one item at a time it will drive you crazy.

My rhetorical question would be, how much does a new 9.9 cost? I have 5 running motors for under $1K, don't see this as a money pit.

82rude

Rear Admiral

mayhaps those are the original coils in the 57.if so, they are 50plus years old .not bad for a so called pos motor.lets see how yammy and Hondo fair at that age .