9.9 Hp Engine How fast?

villian69

Recruit
I am new to all this stuff<br />I have a 9.9hp engine-was wondering what type of license I would need-? How many knots would that engine go?<br /><br />Kieran

nikk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 9.9 Hp Engine How fast?

hello if your in canada you dont need a licence until 2009 unless its a jet ski also as for speed if its going on a small aluminum boat it will go farily quick wont break records. :p :p :p

sloopy

Commander

30 foot sailboat = 6 miles an hour<br />10 foot john boat = 10 miles an hour<br />12 foot v hull = 20 miles an hour***

fishguy

Seaman

Not to pick nits, but if he's in Canada and running a tinny with a 9.9 and no boatcard, he's breaking the law.<br />That was the boat I was in (no pun intended) until I got the 14 1/2 footer.<br />Anything under 4m needed a boatcard a while ago, about a year, I believe.......<br />Anyways, if you're in Canada, please go check it out and make sure before you head out without one. <br /><br />From: https://www.boaterexam.com/msn/faq1.html <br /><br />Q: When do I need the card?<br />All operators born after April 1, 1983 require the card now.<br />All operators of craft under 4m, including PWCs, require the card now.<br />All operators will require the card by Sept 15, 2009 regardless of boat length.<br /><br />I'm not one to correct, but wanted to speak up on this one...I was a bit miffed that I was required to get a boatcard for my home-made 10' tinny with a 4.5 Rude, and a couple I know can blast around cluelessly at 60+mph in their jet boat until 2009.<br /><br />I have a feeling that the death rate was soooo much higher in the jetski catergory that they wanted to have them carded first. Maybe they had to go by size so it doesn't look like they're just 'out to get' the jetski's....?<br /><br />If anyone knows the real reason, fill me in please!

fishguy

Seaman

Found it...<br /><br />"After September 15, 2002 all operators of pleasure craft under 4m in length (including personal watercraft) will be required to carry proof of competency."<br /><br /> http://www.theboatcard.ca/

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Shoot, I've got a 4 stroke 5hp, and with just me and some fishing equipment in a 14' jonboat I go 15mph.<br /><br />Crack open that 9.9 and you'll see about 20-25 at least!

Mike6158

Cadet

Dang.. if a 9.9 will push a little boat that fast I wonder what I'm going to see with a 35 on a 14' Express?

BR549

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have an 8 hp Mercury on a 14 foot flatbottom and it will top out at about 16 mph with just me in the boat. You should see at least the same or better speed

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Kieran, from your sig I assume you're in Australia? Those Canadian regs probably don't extend quite that far..... :D

Paul Moir

Admiral

Fouled plug: That's the problem with saying your from Sydney. It's like saying your from St. Petersburg...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How fast will a 9.9 go? Youre probably not gonna believe it but -- a 9.9 will go wide open!! <br /><br />On little hydros -- 60+.<br />As a kicker on my Dusky -- somewhat slower.<br /><br />Good luck!

ZmOz

Captain

Sorry for a stupid question...but what the hell is a "little hydro" and how can it do 60 with a 9.9? :eek:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Its a small race boat. APBA has a couple of classes for 9.9's -- runabout and hydro. The engines were produced with a "sleek" type gearcase. The driver kneels down in the boat rather than sitting in a seat.