9.8 mercury not cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

galary

Recruit
have a 1981 9.8 mercury electric start long shaft. last week water was coming out the pee hole,tonight nothing. the pee hole is not plugged nor is the tube that feeds it.there is no thermistat and no water is getting to where the tube feeds the pee hole. where exactly is the water intake?so i can check to make sure it is clean, if not where exactly is the impeler and water pump so i can check them. the impeler i am told was replaced 2 years ago. thanks in advance.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.8 mercury not cooling

I hope you appreciate that I'm putting my life on the line by replying to an outboard question in the I/O forum. ADMIN 5 is cracking down hard on those who don't stick to the format...just ask Trent!!<br /><br />The water intake is in the gear housing (lower unit)...on either side...or perhaps under the cavitation plate. The impeller is located inside the gear housing...so obviously you'll have to drop the gear housing to replace it. I could probably walk you through that process...but I'm not all that familiar with the later model 9.8 (at my age...1981 is a later model!!) I wouldn't trust the fact that your impeller was replaced two years ago and assume it's ok. It only takes a minute of running the engine dry (not in water...no garden hose attached) to shell out an impeller. Sand and mud can also raise havoc...<br /><br />If you haven't already...in the future I suggest that you post your outboard questions in the outboard forum. You stand the best chance of getting the info you're looking for in there...<br /><br />Walt

Trent

Captain

UH........Walter<br /><br />You know somthing I dont?? :rolleyes: <br /><br />Walter forgot to tell you to put a airhose on the peehole (tale tail or tattle tale) or a waterhose and see if she is not just stopped up a little in the powerhead.

Walter

Hee, hee...<br />Trent...<br /><br />I'm ribbin' ya pal. Did you see what I said after you responded to the 18 hp Evinrude post a couple days ago? Again...just teasin'!<br /><br />I wasn't one in favor of dividing the boat engine forums into individual groups... Now, I find it convenient as heck... I don't have to sift through all the outboard questions to get to the I/O issues... So now when I see a post re: an outboard in the I/O forum...I can't resist but give the poster a little guff (very politely) and suggest they post the question to the outboard forum. Your replies are always right on the mark...(I/O, outboard, whatever)...folks are happy to get an answer to their questions regardless of where they post them. I guess I've kinda taken it upon myself to police posting in the proper forum. It's my anal nature!!! "A place for everything...and everything in it's place." No wonder I'm divorced...<br /><br />Walt

Walter

Yeah...sorry. I jumped the gun on this one. I shoulda asked Galary if he thought the engine was running hot, or if he was only concerned about no tell tale stream. I "assumed" the tell tale passage was clear by what he said...but reading it again, I see he's only talking about the tube and the nipple it attaches to.<br /><br />Galary...what Trent said! Ya need to go a bit further.<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />BTW...do you have a suspicion the engine is running hot?<br /><br />Walt

flashback

Captain

yea well both of ya just screwed up then. Galary, don't believe everything you hear.. check the pump.

Walter

If you say so Flash...<br /><br />Trent only suggested that Galary insure he didn't have a blockage somewhere in the tell tale passage before he went through the trouble of dropping the lower unit to inspect the impeller. My mistake (by not thoroughly reading his post)was assuming the passage was clear...with the most obvious problem being with the impeller. He never stated his engine was overheating...and I should have asked that before I responded with a fix. Trent's suggestion may have saved the guy a lot of trouble. The faux pax was mine... Nevertheless, I feel the advice we gave was sound. Chances are...it's gonna be one or the other...or both.<br /><br />Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.