9.8/9.9HP 2006 white smoke/steam? out exhaust relief in test tank - with video- help!

dazk14

Ensign
No One is showing the love on the Tohatsu side, I thought you guys might help me out... I have a week to return it - so the heat is on!

Tohatsu is making both their branded 9.8 and Mercs branded 9.9HP.

Per the Tohatsu side where I posted/started...

Hello,

Small outboard 2 stroke mechanic here - never touched a 4 stroke.

Family just bought a used 2006 Tohatsu 4 stroke 9.8HP last week and wants my blessing...7 day return policy.

This was used in Salt water 2007 and stored since. Salt water and not flushed. Previous owner is a very honest old fella.

Compression is 141/141, starts VERY easily and idles perfectly at a very low rpm.

Pumps water great via the telltale, but seems to create too much white smoke out of the exhaust relief. Very puzzled.

Here's a video. Ambient temp is 60'F. Infrared head/plug temps seem to be ~165-180deg..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjqCySVGq0

Am I being too paranoid, or is there a problem. Old plugs were very dark and the oil appeared to be slightly overfilled.

The vid shows the engine running with oil at 2/3 up the dip stick (I drained- refilled). Checked new plug after 30 minutes and it seemed fine.

ANY help would be appreciated. I ordered the factory service manual.

Thanks!

Mike

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.8/9.9HP 2006 white smoke/steam? out exhaust relief in test tank - with video- h

It dosnt look to bad. I would do a cylinder leak down test. What do the plugs look like?

dazk14

Ensign
Re: 9.8/9.9HP 2006 white smoke/steam? out exhaust relief in test tank - with video- h

Thanks Jim for the quick reply!

Nothing worse than being ignored...

BTW - If you need parts for - what looks to be a ~1975 - I've got used stock as a gratitude for your input.

I'll get after the leak down. Just no easy way to hold the flywheel. With the fact it starts and idles so perfectly and the compression was identical, I got lazy on the leak down.

Original plugs were very brown. New set appear normal.

Have you had much experience with the 4-strokes?

Thanks again,
Mike D.

Last edited:

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing like the Mercury 9.9 4 stroke I had years ago. This would worry me. I would play safe and say no.

Dave

gss036

Commander

I have been running Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes since 1993 and have never had that much smoke/steam come out of the exhaust vent. Either you are making oil(gas running into the oil)
or burning oil. Either way, I would take the engine back, something is not right in my humble opinion. Oil is blue smoke, gas is black smoke, water is white (smoke) steam.

dazk14

Ensign

Thanks,

I just ran the motor without a thermostat and there was no smoke, just spitting water out the exhaust relief.

Head temp was 125 without the thermostat.

The thermostat seems to be ok when doing the liquid 140-175' test.

What do you make of that? The smoke is def. white. It seems like the exhaust passage is getting hot and making a little steam when using the thermo..

Thanks Guys!

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still say don't take the risk.

Dave

dazk14

Ensign

All set. I believe the thermostat was sticking and dunking it in 200+ degree water freed it up to allow better flow. I guess I was creating a little exhaust created steam when it mixed an inadequate cooling supply.

I've ordered a new one, but below vid shows it running. Head temps ~140 - plugs are beige.

As I mentioned before compression is 141/141. Did leak down test - showed 10% both cylinders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpquKqoofW0

Thanks again for all your input.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mmmmmmmmmmm still not sure though?

Dave