FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
It seems like there would be proof in the form of a photo.
Or service manual drawing.
I just googled about a dozen more photos and none had anything attached there.
Small outboards don't normally have "options" that would require additional mounting bosses. That stuff just adds weight.
The only engine that mounted any thing there was the 1964, the first year of the 9.5.
So perhaps the OP has an Engine, or at least an Exhaust Cover that is older than 1971
I finally found a filter for a 64 that looks like it would fit the cavity at the end of that mounting boss. Still haven't seen any photos with the filter still in place. Maybe it exists only in museums now...
But all year 9.5s still have that mount, from what I've seen.
What have you circled there?
I've been curious if that square socket in the casting has any purpose.
I've used it to crudely try to keep the flywheel from rotating when torqueing the top nut--but it feels risky.