9.5 1969-73 johnson air in fuel line

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a new scepter fuel tank, resurfaced old pump to block gasket and used indianhead shellac on it and all around square pump to seal any leaks with it too. fuel lines new. if i keep pumping bulb bubbles go away. So new pump, quick connects on fuel tank lines maybe or rebuild pump. I see chinese pumps for cheap but no reviews. left tank pumped up but no leaks i can find. Engine will run decent till iquit squeezing the blub but then start missing.

Attachments

• 20210411_153837.mp4
    43.5 MB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Rebuilding or rather replacing the diaphragm in these pumps is so easy.----Make a diaphragm if you have to.-----You are sure it is air or could it be gasoline vapor ????----The fuel pumps operate with crankcase PRESSURE pulses and are you 100% sure there is no issue with the crankcase sealing , or reed valves ??

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
no i'm not sure about crank case seals or reeds. Vapor seems unlikely as it's in the forty's and 3 gallons in tank. No leaks from lines after 2 hours of pressure. Pump i need to check again for leaks, forgot to wipe it off .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make no assumptions when repairing your outboard motor.----You say there are no leaks and yet you are seeing bubbles ??----And there are no bubbles when you operate the bulb.----That tells me something !

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
sealed the pump last night after seeing bubbles, ran this morning and still air in lines. pressure tested tank hooked to engine and every thing is dry pump too. engine runs good but low idle isn't best but hard to adjust will air situation. let it run about 1/3 throtle for 20 minutes. Usually starts fine but when it don't the choke is not closed all the way, my fualt there not pulling all way out.

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fuel pump! leaky under pressure. think this is main problem. looking for a kit no. or whole pump. 0388833 is the pump for 1969 9.5 but cant find a kit yet.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are not looking in the right years for the kit !!!-----That pump was used for many years and many models.----Start looking under the newer model 9.9 / 15 HP until you come to the year / parts page where they do list the repair kit.-----Sorry this is all simple to me !----Or pick a new pump from the ---" hooflungdung " company via internet as they sell for as little as $12

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 9.5 hp, was built from 1964 to 1973 so assumed would look there. early yrs had round pump later square. Square "looks" lie the 9.9 pump but wtf do i know if the same.look at q&A's on iboat about these fitting 9.5's. top one...
Which rebuild kit for 1970 Johnson 9.5 fuel pump? Will ANY other pump work on my motor?

A:
Johnson does not list a fuel pump kit. You will need fuel pump part number 0388833. more down the list.....http://ww2.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-395091-replacement-parts/dm/cart_id.428705440--session_id.903568286--view_id.462030#tab-handle__ProductInfoContainer__Customer_Questions__Answers

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And I do know what years the 9.5 was built. ----I sold some brand new when working at a dealer !-----Just scan the parts lists until you find the repair kit for this popular little pump.-----Used on 4 to 25 HP motors.----But NOT listed on early motors.-----Simply because it was not the policy.-----Find it on newer 9.9 / 15 HP models.----Even that basic pump was used as a ---" vapor extraction pump " on 60 degree looper motor V-4 and V-6.---Should not be hard to find this kit.----Just call a good BRP dealer and get one.----I could post the part # no problem but you would not learn anything ---Sorry.

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think they don't list 9.5 comparability because early 9.5's used the round pump, not sure if mounting was different but bet the same. Ordered a 9.9 pump that cross referenced to a 9.5 plus parts kit that should work on mine. Good thing is i checked compression again and getting 72-75 psi and idle adjust is working plus low idle is in good shape. Motor responds to it but the fuel stuttering is stopping me from dialing it in. Thanks for your help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many different pumps will work on the 9.5 HP model.---The repair kit fits all those wee square pumps.----I just order the diaphragm by itself.----That is about the only item that can fail on these.

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sierra Marine 18-7350 and​

Sierra Marine 18-7823 - Sierra Marine Fuel Pump Rebuild Kit​

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I have installed several knoc-offs from China and they worked well but if you want the real things the folks at Iboats here can "fix" you up :)

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've bought here before but last night couldn't crack their in cart system. Add 2 or 3 items go back and cart empty, had go elsewhere.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might pick up a couple of the cheap pumps while you play with a rebuild. I've had good luck with them.