8hp full of sand

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
I am rebuilding my father-in-laws motor that was submerged for a few days and is full of sand...:(
can anyone tell me what to use as when I reassemble the crankcase...it is metal on metal with some sort of sealant??

Thanks
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

OMC Gel seal , small red tube available at OMC dealers, some say there is a flavor of Loctite that does the same thing.
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

Don't think so, M is used to seal gearcases and non metal to metal crankcase halves (spaghetti seals and such) - OMC gel seal II p#324073 or Loctite #518 is used on metal to metal crankcases, if his 8hp is metal on metal then the Gel Seal is the choice.
 

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
552
Re: 8hp full of sand

Thanks for clarifying bktheking. I am rebuilding my 72 6 HP, and eventually have to put the block back together. I thought my service manual said Adhesive M, which is why I am curious. Want to get the right stuff. :)
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

All depends on the mating surface, you'll know once it's apart, it may indeed require M instead of gel seal.
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

It is metal on metal...it almost looked like there was nothing applied there at all, but if it is a Loctite type of thing, that makes sense. Thanks guys!
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

Just an update on the 8 horse....
I got it all back together and ...IT RUNS!!
but, the prop has a big ding in it, and it makes alot of bubbles in the water???
Is that cavitation?
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

Bubbles in the water??? I did that when I was a baby LOL, exhaust perhaps???
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

No, it is not a thru-hub exhaust. I tried it on my kicker board behind my 21ft Bayliner (I know, not very fair for an 8 horse :) ) but all it did was churn up the water. I had a closer look at the prop and the one blade has a pretty good ding in it :(
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

Doesn't matter if it's through hub or not, they all exhaust under water. Pull the prop cone off and check for a missing/broken drive pin.
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

You are right about the exhaust... the drive pin is still good, I do think it is the prop.. the same guy who sunk his boat probably banged up the prop as well...
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

....is there any way to straighten out a bent prop, or is that a lost cause?
 

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
5,057
Re: 8hp full of sand

Sounds like it's spun, take it to your local marine dealer, they can send them out for repair! Or try and find a used on on ebay.
 

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
49
Re: 8hp full of sand

I looked on ebay... no luck, guess its time to bite the bullet and get a new prop:)
 
Top