89 ranger 363v rebuild

Brett2244

Cadet
This is my first boat, I paid 6 for it and the tralier thought I got a good deal. Now that I am seeing the damage and putting two and two together I'm seeing that it has been wrecked. I'm not sure how bad it is and will have pics up as soon as possible. There is a small crak in the gel coat on the bottom ( point of impact from wreck). The transom looks ok but it used to have a jack plate on it so I'm worried about the safety of the structure. Also, where the batteries sit the fiberglass is pretty much gone and oil has soaked into the plywood and started seperating it. Also above that where the battery storage and the two storage boxes meet and behind where the hydrolic system mounts to the boat, the fiberglass is cracked, I'm assuming from the wreck. I worry that this could cause the boat to hold water and sink, not to mention how it could affect the drive ability of the boat. I could really use some help before I sink to much into this pos.

Brett2244

Cadet
Re: 89 ranger 363v rebuild

Here are some pics more to come

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 2

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion, that hull needs a complete gut and refit. The transom looks questionable and there's a good chance that crack is bad enough to be leaking.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I think you are very wise to proceed with caution. As you pointed out, that crack in the transom is highly concerning and might be a tough fix given the way it hits that corner radius (might be a tough fix)...

You are looking at a good bit of time and money to get that boat safe and serviceable. If you want a long-term project to tinker with then read up some of the fiberglass restore threads on here (GT1000000 has a bass boat restore thread that might of interest to you; he's in his second year of the project by the way). If your goal is to get on the water cheaply and quickly, this is not the right rig for you.

If that motor is working, you could sell it and the trailer for more than you paid for it and reinvest the coin in an easier project (e.g. a metal fishing boat like a Starcraft, Sea Nymph, etc...).

Also, I'm pretty sure those garden hoses are not OEM :).

Best of luck.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's definitely going to be a restore, but it can be done IF your willing to put the time and money into it. I think mine was in that bad condition when I started. I'll soon be painting the top cap and putting it back on.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome Brett2244,

Like has been said already, looks like a candidate for a complete gut and restore...

If you are willing to put the time and money into it, you'll end up with a real nice bass boat...if the engine is in very good condition, that is...

I'm the GT1000000 that "Pmccraney" mentioned earlier, and yes, I am in my second year restoring my old tub...

This is a labor of love, not for profit...

Best of luck and know that if you decide to dive in to a full restore, you are in the best place to get all the info and guidance you'll need to do it right...

GT1M

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is that a bad Scratch/Gouge on the bottom or a Crack? If its' a crack it's gunna be a JOB. The crack in the transom MIGHT indicate a bad transom only core sample will tell the tale. Have you jumped up and down on the Motor Leg? Do that and see if the Transom Flexes even a tiny bit. If it does, then more than likely it will need replaced too. Based on the overall appearance I'd say She's been "Rode Hard and Put Away WET!!!! As stated Blood, Sweat, Tears and Money can make her like NEW. Maybe 2-3K. But where you gunna buy a LIKE NEW Ranger for that. If you like the style of the boat and don't mind the effort...I'd say...

images

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Brett2244

Cadet

I would say its a bad scratch its not into the fiberglass. If it were on a human it's one of those cuts where you think you might need stitches but a big well placed and taken care of bandaid would do. Do to the fact I am in college money and storage will be an issue at least until next year. When you all say take off the cap, what does that actually take? Also do you think I could patch it up to get it on the water or would that crack in the back compartment opposite the transom affect the stability with any tourque or speed? Would I need to worry about taking on water? The guy I bought it from said it floats he claimed he blew his motor and had a parted out 115 on it. But I've seen it in his driveway for the last two years.

Brett2244

Cadet

Also, the crack in the transom seems to me that it is only in the gel coat. I think there maybe some dirt in the crack plus the shadow may make it seem a bit worse. But what do I know, that's why I'm here asking for help.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

The crack in the back compartment looks like it goes into either a storage compartment or a livewell. Does it go all the way through? Either way, it's above the waterline and shouldn't take on water, unless it's through the livewell and leaks through that.
Your stringers and transom are your structural components you need to be worried about. These are wood covered in fiberglass and these are the parts that rot the most. Does your floor have soft spots? That is one indication that the stringers are rotten.
Check your transom by drilling some 5/16" holes into it. DO NOT drill all the way through, only about an inch. If the shavings you get are light/dry, then theres no rot. If it's dark/wet, then you have rot. If no rot, then fill the holes with some 3M 5200 and your good. Do the same with the stringers.
Here's a link to a book download you'll find helpful. It shows you how your boat is put together, plus gives you some repair tips:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf

Good Luck!

Brett2244

Cadet

No it doesn't go through the storage or a live well. But I'm not sure how far toward the front of the boat it goes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Before you Drill i'd do the jumping up and down on the motor and check for flex