89 OMC 5.8L fuel pump

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know how to source a OMC 5.8L fuel pump, part # 985723?

I'm showing it out of stock everywhere. Is there a work around? I think it wa only used 1 or 2 years.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 OMC 5.8L fuel pump

The pump is no longer available. I had to buy a Volvo pump. That pump must be disassembled and the inlet / outlet tubes "rotated" to match the original part. I ordered it over the phone and don't have the part number yet. When I get the # I'll post it here for the benefit of those using the search feature.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The pump is no longer available. I had to buy a Volvo pump. That pump must be disassembled and the inlet / outlet tubes "rotated" to match the original part. I ordered it over the phone and don't have the part number yet. When I get the # I'll post it here for the benefit of those using the search feature.

Probably too late now but When I needed a pump for my Mercruiser 454, I looked everywhere (because I didn't want to pay close to $200) for an "Aftermarket" pump.

I discovered that ALL OEM Mercruiser pumps and maybe ALL OEM pumps are manufactured by Airtex. Both Autozone and Schucks/Kragen (now Oreilllys I think) and maybe most major autoparts stores have an AIRTEX or Master catalog.

Those catalogs show just about every pump model made and they have a "Marine" section.

I was skeptical so I called Airtex and spoke to one of their reps and while they do not sell retail he told me that Airtex IS the OEM for just about all mechanical pumps that are not imported. (neither Mercruiser nor Volvo makes their own fuel pumps)

I ended up buying the right marine pump for my 454 for about $50 (it was exactly the same pump that Mercruiser sells and other "marine" dealers sell)

FWIW.....

Rick

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

They only have the 93-94 in their catalog. Thanks for the tip though.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

this could suck for me if mine goes out 1991 5.8l omc :( i love it but jeesh so many omc's in michigan if basic parts start falling off the grid there may be mobs running about till we get our parts!! i would guess the mercruiser to omc ratio is probably 1:1 at my ramps

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

This is all that was on my invoice:

VOL38540...

Since the part is being shipped to the mechanic, it is probably all I'll have.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Mine already had been converted to electric when I bought it 3 years ago.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I hope one bolt space rotation will make it match to my application.