89 Mercury Classic 50 won’t open up

Fuel pump diaphragm ruptured ?----Exhaust tuner plugged ?-----Post actual compression values.
Got another small update, slow progress is better than no progress !
I finally pulled the lower unit back off last night and checked to make sure that exhaust tuner wasn't plugged, and it appeared to be wide open. Pulled the carbs back off and installed the venturi in both of them, everything is back together now, going to go for a water test tomorrow evening. Max timing at cranking speed with plugs out seemed to be about 33 degrees, I tried to back that off a little but 3 turns of the screw in didn't change it at all. That's confusing to say the least. One last thing I noticed, I connected my timing light to each plug wire again at idle. 2 cylinders are showing a super fast rapid fire flash, and the other 2 are a slower normal looking flash. This is consistent with no misses when revving. Not sure why it would be like that but going to water test and see how it does.

Newbie mistake, gotta admit he's doing better than 99.9% of newbie posts here.
I can assure you I'm not your average bear, I will figure this thing out eventually and post the results right here for everyone to see. Whether it is something I simply failed to do correctly or if I find a faulty component.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I can assure you I'm not your average bear, I will figure this thing out eventually and post the results right here for everyone to see. Whether it is something I simply failed to do correctly or if I find a faulty component.
Oh I can tell, I was more talking just about forgetting to include something in a post.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Do we have to sign up for the night shift ? :sleep:
I am felling really good for 2 days. If I take a 1 or 2 hour afternoon nap. I am up at 5 am and ramy Time for a coffee to really think about MY small list of all projects to do.
Remove floor boards and sweep up dead bodies. Buy a small B & D car vacuum. Use it in car & boats. Regrease all anchor pullies. Replace 1 dock line. Replace all twisted lines in little boat. Sand and refinish both oars. Grease all ends of Evinrude control cables. Refinish boat chair arm rests. Do a daily check why new Primer Bulb was deflated last morning. After 1 week of use. I need to print this work list.

Naahh Keep boating & sleeping on fishing trips. (y)