89 Johnson 40HP control box connector

iamslotman

Cadet
I found the reason for my intermittent tach was a bad connection where the wires enter the control box just below the key. By slightly wiggling them, the gas gauge and the tach jump from normal to zero. I assumed the wires plug into the box, but they seem very intent on staying there so I came here before I make the SHT column. I removed the 2 screws that hold the box to the boat and on the back I see 3 large phillips screws that seem to have gone to the same school of non co-operation that the wires attended. So I am here to ask what to expect when its opened?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 89 Johnson 40HP control box connector

Those three large screws hold the control box halves togeather. If they will not come out, check your local auto parts store and see if they have a hand held impact driver. You hit it with hammer to loosen or tighten screws or bolts. I don't think they cost very much.
Once you get the screws out the control box will split apart, then you will be able to repair your wires.

iamslotman

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. I just envisioned opening the box and hearing "boing" and parts flying out. I will pop it open today and get another thing working.

iamslotman

Cadet

opened the control box today and found all 3 wires broken or nearly broken. Enough wire left to reconnect with barrel crimps and covered with heat shrink and then tape. All working well again, thanks for the help.