89 Force 85hp Gear Bellow

Hello -

I need help as I have looked everywhere for this part. I am looking for the seal that goes in between the plate and the shift rod in the lower unit. Everywhere says it’s NLA. Has anyone come across or know anyone with a lower unit that is for parts that is willing to sell? If not has anyone done some contraption to build their own that will do the job?

The part number is [h=1]FK721706[/h]
Any assistance here will be greatly appreciate.

This is the part I need essentially just the rubber bellow but seems it’s pressed. I have seen in some forums that a different part was made to replace this one as this bellow he a lot of problems but can’t seem to find it.

Attachments

• photo338534.jpg
    photo338534.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 2

Nordin

Commander
Has the bellow a rip or a crack. Hard to see in the pic.
The bellow should be secured to the shift rod with a zip tie in a grove in the rod.
I have the same issue with my sons 85Hp 1988 Force but I think the zip tie is gone.
Will drop the LU in the autumn and check.

I asked Franz at Franz Marine for about three weeks ago cause he had a replacement for it a couple of years ago I believe.
He developed a replacement, actually a whole cover with a regular seal for the shift rod.
He answered that the machine shop that made it did not produced a good quality soo it was not acceptable.
He is waiting for an other machine shop to try to made these covers.

The Force power

Commander
This is the part I need essentially just the rubber bellow but seems it’s pressed. I have seen in some forums that a different part was made to replace this one as this bellow he a lot of problems but can’t seem to find it.

IF...it has a small rip in it, see if you glue/patch it.
That boot is only to keep foreign particles out such as sand to protect the seal below that.
But do install a zip-tie as Nordin mentioned

Has the bellow a rip or a crack. Hard to see in the pic.
The bellow should be secured to the shift rod with a zip tie in a grove in the rod.
I have the same issue with my sons 85Hp 1988 Force but I think the zip tie is gone.
Will drop the LU in the autumn and check.

I asked Franz at Franz Marine for about three weeks ago cause he had a replacement for it a couple of years ago I believe.
He developed a replacement, actually a whole cover with a regular seal for the shift rod.
He answered that the machine shop that made it did not produced a good quality soo it was not acceptable.
He is waiting for an other machine shop to try to made these covers.

I called this shop and they don’t have any and said most likely he won’t have them anymore. It’s unfortunate that no option is out there for us to repair it with. I will try to come up with my own possible solution and keep you all posted. If it works than I will advice you on how to repair it.

fingers crossed.

IF...it has a small rip in it, see if you glue/patch it.
That boot is only to keep foreign particles out such as sand to protect the seal below that.
But do install a zip-tie as Nordin mentioned

No, it’s completely separated basically in two pieces I try to do a pressure test and all oil cane out of there. We will see what I can come up with.

Nordin

Commander
Sorry The Force power but that bellow is the shift rod seal.
It is not only for protecting from sand and dirt, that is why the oil will weep out if you have a crack or a rip in it.
A really bad engineering.
A regular seal would have been much better and there was that kind of solution in some of the LUs.
Do not know why they put this solution in.

Well I got a very similar bellow and attached it with JBweld Waterweld as well as another adhesive in that small housing. I’m going to let it cure for 24 hours and then get everything back together. I will perform a pressure test on it to see if I was successful.

Attachments

• photo338820.jpg
    photo338820.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1