89 force 50hp - no power, please help

Dave1071

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
3
Hi have a 1989 Force 50hp outboard motor. I just had a repair man put new throtle cables on, along with a new water pump, and he adjusted the carburetor. I also just put on a new prop. It starts up great and idles just fine, and seems to run well in neutral, but when i put take the boat out and put it in gear, I don't have anywhere near the power (speed) like I used to. The engine sounds as if it is working just as hard as it once did (rpm wise), but I don't get the speed like I used to when the engine seemed to be working that hard. When my throtle is at 90%, the engine sounds appropriate for that throtle position, but I might only be getting about 15% of the speed. Any help is much appreciated - Thank you. also if anyone has an ideas, if they could throw me a ballpark fgure on what parts and labor might run i would appreciate that too
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 89 force 50hp - no power, please help

Possibly a spun prop hub in the new prop.<br />Do you still have the old prop? If you do, put it back on and give it a try.
 

Dave1071

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
3
Re: 89 force 50hp - no power, please help

It had this problem with the old prop. The repair man's suggestion was the prop, which is why we put a new one on. This problem didn't start till after the new water pump, throtle cables, and carburator was put on though ...
 
Top