89 force 50 HP how to adjust new float with new needle

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89 force 50 HP how to adjust new float with new needle

Ok I put everything back on. No start. No cough. No sign of it starting nor wanting to. Battery is at 13.20 volts and I added a tea spoon of fuel in each cylinder and nothing. Bulb gets hard but there is no fuel spilling. I cranked it for a good while each time and used the choke. Nothing.
What an I do now. I'm so drained!!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Don't give up! I mentioned before that it sounded like you may have an ignition issue. Make sure that the Kill switch is not engaged.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will not give up. As a US Marine, that word is not in my vocabulary.
I tested the wires from the stator - number 1 & 2 then 3 & 4 and I cranked the motor and and set my voltmeter to 600 since the lower one is 200 and I got 60 to 78 volts. Supposedly it indicates a bad stator - mine is brand new one.
- could I have damaged my stator?
- I there another test I can perform?
- I checked for spark with my tester and though it cranks stronger since I charged my battery it still shows a yellow spark.
- I could not do the take the sparkie out and touch I the motor cuz I did not see a spark nor am I sure I did it right.
- I added starter fluid to the carbs like Jerry said and it didn't even cough.
- I feel that it is an electrical issue.
Help!!

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tested the kill switch - when I tested for continuity it sounded off when I touched birth tips - when I turned the key to the on position and I put on the lanyard it interrupted the circuit.
I have a feeling it is something to do with a ground somewhere. What ever that means.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

The kill switch is normally a short to ground, it should be a normally open switch and when engaged it closes and shorts the ignition to ground I believe. The lanyard holds the switch open, when it is removed the switch is engaged (closed) grounding the ignition to earth.

Last edited:

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How should I proceed

MickLovin

Ok check your circuit breaker as well, and I could be wrong on the kill switch, I read a post where the kill switch when engaged by taking the lanyard off actually open ciruits the ignition. We may need Frank or one of the other lads on the kill switch side of things. Can you disconnect the kill switch and put your meter across it, with the lanyard in it will be either open or closed and with it out obviously it will be opposite to having the lanyard in. This will tell you if the kill switch itself is working.
Check this post out as well
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=601589

Last edited:

MickLovin

CHRY35_50_80_84.jpg
This looks like your wiring Diagram, let me know if this looks right.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Your test on the Kill switch confirms that it is operating correctly. Just to be sure, your ignition system has the two Blue coils and the single Blue CD Module correct? If so, this is the Prestolite Capacitive Discharge ignition system.

To test the stator resistance, disconnect the Blue and Yellow wires. If you have the original style factory stator, you should read between 680 - 850 OHMs between the Blue and Yellow wires. If you have an after market CDI Electronics stator, you should read between 250 - 350 OHMs between the Blue and Yellow wires.

To test the voltage output of the stator, you need a DVA adapter or a special meter. A standard Multi-meter doesn't show accurate readings.

The other thing you want to do is to disconnect the two Green/Yellow wires going to your Rectifier. Tape the ends off so they don't short to anything and see if it starts.

Nordin

Commander

Since the flywheel is installed in the right way with lapping and new key everything there should be okey.
You put some fuelmixture in the sparkplug holes and it would not even cough, there must be an ignition issue.

Before you start to measure the resistance in the triggercoils why not use your new timinglight!
Use it and check for spark at each plug. If the timing should be out it should start because there is almost no timeadvance at idle but there should be trouble at higher RPM and WOT.
As the flywheelkey is brand new it should spark at right time if the triggers and CDI box is okey.

If not light from the timinglight, then start to troubleshot the triggers and CDI box.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My timing light is not working or turning on. It has red and black alligator clips and the wire clip. I put the red clip to the battery positive the black to the engines ground and the clip on to the coil 1 wire and nothing turns on. I may take it back unless I'm doing something wrong.
I will check the coils and module right now for the resistance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Test the timing light on your car to see if it works. Just see if it flashes, don't have to check actual timing or anything. If it does work, then that confirms that your Force motor does not have any or strong enough ignition spark to trigger the timing light. That pretty much confirms that you have an ignition problem.

MickLovin

This is a good example of checking your testing gear before you proceed with any test on your motor, when I was an apprentice electrician, I had forgotten to test my Volt probes before testing for power on a circuit, I found out the hard way that my batteries were flat in my tester and got thrown halfway across the room from a 240 volt belt which left a burn mark right the way through my thumb. The other electricians all laughed at me as they said I sounded like a big girl squeeling when I got a shock. This was because it tightened up my throat muscles when I was shocked causing my scream to be high pitch. I have only ever has 2 shocks in my 30 year experience as an electrician, the one mentioned and another which was 3 phase and had 415 volts on the end of it, I was lucky I had only brushed the two phases and it didn't take hold like the previous one.
Long winded story, but good reason to check your tester, false readings can cause a lot of wasted money and you are left scratching your head.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tested the circuit braker for continuity and it's ok.
I tested the green and yellow wires going to the rectifier and they show a resistance of .7 and .8 which is within range.
I tested the rectifier there is no movement anywhere on the four connectors.
I tested the blue and yellow wires from the Stader and they give me a reading of 318 it is a CDI electronics Stator.

- I want to buy a rectifier at RadioShack to test on my motor but could you guys tell me what voltage amperage or wattage I need on the rectifier please

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Radio Shack P/N 276-1185 $4.49 +tax. 50volts @ 25amps. There should be two terminals that are labeled with this symbol ~. This is where the Green/Yellow wires are attached. One terminal labeled either with the plus + symbol or the sharp corner is cut off. This is where the Red wire is attached. One terminal labeled with a minus symbol -, this terminal is connected to the engine block or ground.

You can see if the rectifier is the cause by disconnecting the Green/Yellow wires (tape the ends of the wires off). It doesn't hurt anything and saves you a trip. Try starting it like this. If it tries to start or does start indicating you now have good spark, then go and purchase a replacement.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ooookkkkk greaaaaaat - it started
I removed the green cables from rectifier and it started - wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow
We did it guys we did it - I'm in my way to buy the rectifier from radio shack now

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys - I installed the new rectifier and it does not start bit cough and I disconnect the 2 stator wires and still doesn't start or cough like with the old rectifier.
Do I put the old one back on??
What do I do now?

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I bought the new rectifier it didn't have any resistance either like my old one - could it be a bad one? I set my ohm meter to 200 which is my lowest and nothing also I set it iode and nothing!
Please help!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have an intermittent connection. Disconnect the two Green/Yellow wires and tape off the ends so they don't touch ground or get caught in the flywheel. Just leave them off for now. Take a very close look at the Blue/Yellow stator wires. It seems that when you removed these wires to check the resistance, and put them back on the screw terminals, the motor started. Look at all the wires that are connected to the same terminals as the Blue/Yellow wires. Hold the end of the spade lug connector and tug on the wires and see if the wire pulls out of the spade lug connector.

I suspect that the old and the new rectifier are fine. Here's how to test a bridge rectifier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkT6hF0O3E

Last edited:

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question on the starter relay/ solenoid - the two top big wires, one is red coming from the battery positive- the other one goes to the starter - -- -- my question is - shouldn't both be positive? On the top mine are 1 positive and the other going to starter negative.
How do I check polarity?
Bottom of starter is negative when I hook up a continuity tester and I course the brackets holding the starter are grounded.
Does this sound right? I'm afraid I got too much ground.
I suspect something may be going on with the interlock switch also. How do I test it?