89 85 hp gas out middle carb

Timothy Wagnot

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
2
This motor it blowing a mist of gas out the middle carb at full throttle.<br />The thing runs but I cant get 5100 RPMs out of it anymore.<br />I have no hole shot and its a stubborn rat to keep running in a no wake zone. You cant troll.<br />It stalls constantly.<br />Low speed Idle is set.<br />Timing is at 28 deg. at full throttle.<br />Ive decarbed<br />Rebuilt fuel pump.<br />Compression is decent. All around 100 lbs.<br />Ser. No. 856X9E<br />Carbs were rebuilt last year by me.<br />Could this be a Reed Valve Problem????<br />I checked the posts on Reed valves but found nada.<br />Ohhhhh, Help Me! Please.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: 89 85 hp gas out middle carb

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />It does indeed sound like a reed problem to me. If you remove the carb, you should be able to see them. Maybe it's just something that got sucked in and is keeping one from closing. Or one broke.
 

Timothy Wagnot

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
2
Re: 89 85 hp gas out middle carb

I found the problem.<br />2 of the 3 reed valve bodies are cracked!!<br />How can this happen??<br />Where can I get new ones????
 

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
201
Re: 89 85 hp gas out middle carb

Well in my search, I find that those reed blocks are no longer available.<br />Sooo, I put my McGyver skills to work and heres what I did.<br />I got out my Dremel with an oval shaped grind bit.<br />Carefully ground a "valley" at all sides if the cracks.<br />Used this Alumalloy, aluminum weld stuff I bought off the internet that you can do with a propane torch.<br />Carefully "welded" (its like soldering) the cracks of the broken pieces.<br />Used my belt sander and a homemade jig to resurface all "faced" sides, then honed them smooth with a stone.<br />Spun each reed on the reed block 180 deg. and rebent them to the point where I cant see any light through the gaps and reinstalled the whole mess.<br />So far, and this dont mean much. It idles great in a tank at 800 rpms. Each carb responded to the low speed idle adjustment.<br />Headed to the river tonight for the test run to see how it is.<br />Gonna verify the 28 deg BTC on the timing while at full throttle (if the pig runs)<br />I posted this to maybe help somewith a desperate attitude towards fixing their boat.<br />Ill post results tomorrow.
 

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
201
Re: 89 85 hp gas out middle carb

Update.<br />The thing ran terrible at first.<br />It took some adjustments on the low speed Idle.<br />Once that was pretty good. <br />The throttle valves were all tweeked to open flat at WOT.<br />Then I tweeked the timing at full throttle, full speed (on calm water) to 28 deg BTC.<br />Retweeked low speed Idle and it runs nice now.<br />Slight stutter on the hole shot and away you go.<br />About 18-49k RPMs WOT.<br />Im happy. <br />Maybe this will help someone in the future.
 
Top