'89 4.3L Cobra popped out of gear

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
'89 4.3L Cobra.<br /><br />I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes:<br /><br />My boat has 'popped out of gear' a couple of times when I first take off. I know this can be the result of a clutch dog that is going (or gone).<br /><br />I've pulled the drive & split the upper & lower, but never broken either down further than that. To what extent (special tools, complicated adjustments reassembling things, etc.) whould it take to check the clutch dog on my lower unit? How about replacing it?<br /><br />Same question w.r.t. checking the shape of the gears. (I'm almost positive replacing the gears would be out of my league, both from the perspective of equipment & expertise). <br /><br />BTW, don't know that it's relevent, but the upper unit was replaced with a rebuilt one maybe 30 hours ago.<br /><br />Although I'm cringing waiting to hear the answers, I do appreciate your input...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 4.3L Cobra popped out of gear

You are probably right but you should see if your shift cable was putting you all way into gear. Did you check the adjustment on that? What was the condition of the cable and housing down at the bellcrank area?<br /><br />I had the exect same problem you are having way back when I bought my 87 Bayliner with a Cobra. Back then the warrant was avaialble to me so the gear set was replaced free.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put in a new transom shift cable last fall. Struggled with the adjustment (in spite of all the references and help on here), but got it at least within tolerable limits.<br /><br />I've experienced the 'bucking' when I haven't shifted into gear far enough, and this is different (one thunk, out of gear) so I don't think it's a cable adjustment issue (unfortunately).

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

LakeLivin,<br />Ouch. It sounds bad to me all right. I had the exact same thing several years ago and had to have mine replaced. It sounds and feels like the ski rope slipped and suddenly grabbed. It will begin to happen while cruising if you keep running it.<br />Keep us informed and good luck!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any input on difficulty replacing just the clutch dog?