'88 Renken Classic 2000 Restore

bbelcher4

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I picked up a 20 foot 1988 Renken Classic 2000 a few weeks ago. I've only started to clean it, so far. I plan on restoring the entire boat with my father; floor, cabin, hardware, dash, paint, engine, etc. This is our first project boat and we are both very new to boating, so any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Here are some pictures I took of it, after I cleaned some garbage out:

Bow:
DSC05940.jpg

DSC05934.jpg

Cabin:
DSC05908.jpg

DSC05914.jpg

Transom:
DSC05924.jpg

Floor:
(Gas Tank goes here?) haha
DSC05911.jpg

Where would you recommend starting the restoration?
Floor? Engine?

Does anybody know of a good website or anything thing that I can do research on to learn about how my type of boat, specifically, works?

How about the engine? We are thinking about rebuilding a small block chevy for it, from an automobile. After we drop the engine in, how do we figure out what outdrive will be compatible?

What would you recommend for a live well? I know it isn't exactly a fishing boat, but I could use a live well.

What wood can you recommend for the floor? Should I just go ahead and tear the floor up and start from scratch?

Thanks for any help.

-Brian

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '88 Renken Classic 2000 Restore

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun to restore.I am new to boating myself but love working on my boat. That is neat your dad and yourself will be workin on it.I have learned alot just by reading threads on iboats. These guys know their stuff. I say gut it. I would start on the floor and transom first.Look for threads on fiberglassing. Good luck . Keep us posted on your progress.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... For what it's going to cost to restore that pile of poo,...
You could buy a Running boat...

just sayin'...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm all for a project but I gotta agree with Bondo. ALL the valuable parts have been stripped from that hull. It will cost you thousands to get that thing anywhere near water ready. You can easily find a rotted hull to rebuild that has at least some semblance of a powertrain in it. That one's ready for the dump.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

If you find a running hull with and out drive and all hardware needed you could put this thing back together, If you want to buy all the parts new and have a large wallet it could be done also. That looks like a mercruiser hole in the rear.

Friscoboater

Captain

I agree with bondo. It is missing everything. Look around for another boat.

bbelcher4

Recruit

Yeah, you are all right. However, this boat had a title, the transom is rock solid, and the hull is flawless. I live in Tampa, there are a lot of boats here for free, they just all need major fiberglass repair, or transom repair. I'm planning on finding one that someone is giving away, for free or a couple hundred, and using the outdrive off of it, along with whatever else is useful. I've already got the small block and my uncle gets engines for next to nothing, so those would probably be the biggest costs, right?

It had a 4.3 Mercruiser in it, don't know about the outdrive.

Another thing is that I want to customize this boat. So what if it takes me 3 years to finish, I'm 21 I've got an average of 60 years left to use it! Plus my dads getting a running boat, so I can use that when I want to.

Thanks for the concern though.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bbelcher4, OK its not in the greatest shape,and yes it is missing everything . I think their missing the point.Look I dont have alot but what I do have is the ability to work and take pride in my work and I HOPE you dont get discuraged .Take that project with your dad and focus on the time you will spend with him and think how much you will learn from it. Make it your own.It will come.;)

bbelcher4

Recruit

Produceguy, man I really appreciate your support. I know others are talking from experience and mean well, and I'll admit it is mildly discouraging, but the more I'm discouraged the more determined I am. Thanks, :) again.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Not trying to discourage you here. The out drive hole looks to be a mercruiser maybe alpha one. Try to find a donor boat with that in mind to make things easier on you. Dash is not and issue. Look here and there was someone who molded his own. You can make your own custom layout. Have you done any more cleaning? Made any plans? Post them on up here. If you can find a donor hull you can fix this one just as cheaply as any. Please drill check that transom. Just drill a few holes on the inside at the lower most sections of it. You can fill them in later. I thought my baylinner transom was solid. First time in the water and she leaked like @#$$#. Had to pull the engine and rebuild the transom in a hole rather than with full access. The men who have already posted are talking from experience. That boat without a donor hull will cost a mint to be floating. They are just looking out for you. Is the floor rotten or soft? Need to check those engine mounts. If I could do not make engine plans till you find a donor hull or power package. I am a ford man but all my boats have gm power. My baylinner has a 96 gmc truck engine in it. I just used all the parts that were with my boat to make it work. My block was frozen and busted. I will make a suggestion to find a power system compatible with the automotive industry. Ford , chevy ect. Blocks are the same regardless. There are some marine/ industrial engines that are expensive to replace. Not saying they are not good engines just expensive.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great advice above from proshadetree. If you can, stick with Chevy. Ford has been out of the marine business for a while so parts are going to be more expensive for a Ford power package.

Yes we certainly aren't just out to be discouraging and I glad that you recognize that. We are sometimes blunt :p We just know from experience that a bare hull with no mechanicals is absolutely the most expensive way to go about a boat restoration project. Heck there's probably over a $1000 worth of parts that you're missing EXCLUDING the motor and outdrive!!! (transom plate, gimbal assembly, Y-pipe, controls, wiring harness, etc etc etc.)

My recommendation is to get started on cleaning this hull up, determining the condition of the transom and stringers meanwhile be scouring Craigslist for a donor hull with a Mercruiser 4.3 set up. What would be really great is if you could find one with a rotted hull and a cracked block. You'd be able to pick that up for a song and it would get you all the mechanicals you'd need to get the 4.3 motor you already have in you current boat. Good luck!