88 Mercury 45Hp just rebuilt fuel pump need to tune and sinc carbs need help!

Dizzi

Cadet
Well slow and shure we finally seem to be to the root of all evil with this motor. All along I thought I was having ignition issues when after performing the test thanks to "Laddies" all the ignition checked out good. Today I went after the fuel system since my compresion was 130 PSI on all 4. I started with the fuel pump and found one bad diaphram. The other was almost gone also it was missing the smaller spring with the pad on it. Good news is I found it at a shop in town. I rebuilt it and re checked the floats on my carbs the bottom one was off a but and the needle valve had a blockage. Fixed that and fired it up.

What I need help with is the directions to time and sinc the carbs? I ussually amd really good with directions but this seems weird. Any tricks. I think I need to do this at the lake since I do not have a big enough tank to run at WOT or is there another way? I hate to get out on the water just to drop tools in the lake. I need to know what each adjustment (Screw) is on the port side with the linkage. From the top down I need HELP!

Your help up to this point has been great! Any more advice would be great!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 88 Mercury 45Hp just rebuilt fuel pump need to tune and sinc carbs need help!

The idle mixtures must be set in the water in gear, the base setting for the low speed needles are 2 turns. I will PMthe sycronization.

Dizzi

Cadet
Re: 88 Mercury 45Hp just rebuilt fuel pump need to tune and sinc carbs need help!

Thanks for the PM. I will be trying it out ASAP. What a great help this forum is. I would really have been lost without it.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The idle mixtures must be set in the water in gear, the base setting for the low speed needles are 2 turns. I will PMthe sycronization.

Laddies, I have a 83 Merc 115, can you help me with the sync as well?

Thanks