88 Mercruiser 5.0 LX - Should I replace

rockeater

Cadet
I purchased (through a friend) an 88 Glastron GX195 last year. It was in rough condition. I am working on the hull (massive job) and I decided to look inside the engine only to find fine ground rust in the lower corners of both heads. The intake water circulation ports are heavily rusted, the manifolds are completely rusted, and the fresh water supply hoses were bulging with rust chunks.

The question is....Should I purchase a long block or is this thing salvageable? My gut feeling is buy a new motor.

Rock:facepalm:

PS: Bondo...you are the man!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 Mercruiser 5.0 LX - Should I replace

I decided to look inside the engine only to find fine ground rust in the lower corners of both heads. The intake water circulation ports are heavily rusted, the manifolds are completely rusted, and the fresh water supply hoses were bulging with rust chunks.

My gut feeling is buy a new motor.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Yeah. by your description, I have the same "gut" feeling"

I would pull the water (circulating) pump, intake manifold and pop the core (aka "freeze") plugs and have a close look inside.

You didn't say, is this a salt water engine?

If the (INT/EX) manifold(s) and risers are "completely" rusted I would expect the block to be not very far behind. You might be able to "clean" out some of the rust in the block but there's limits to how much you can actually remove and you might still get overheats at high power settings etc due to poor water flow in the block.........

You can easily control your costs by getting a good "wrecking-yard" truck block............ put your marine "stuff" on it and go boating!

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

I purchased (through a friend) an 88 Glastron GX195 last year. It was in rough condition. I am working on the hull (massive job) and I decided to look inside the engine only to find fine ground rust in the lower corners of both heads. The intake water circulation ports are heavily rusted, the manifolds are completely rusted, and the fresh water supply hoses were bulging with rust chunks.

The question is....Should I purchase a long block or is this thing salvageable? My gut feeling is buy a new motor.

Rock:facepalm:

PS: Bondo...you are the man!

Ayuh,.... Flattery will get ya darn near everywhere... Welcome Aboard,...

Is this an ole Saltwater boat,..??

Where, Exactly in the heads did ya see the rust,..??
Wet cast iron Rusts, so that's not a definitive point...
But How Much rust, 'n where, is what matters...

The exhaust manifolds are replaceable, ditto the circulatin' water pump, hoses, etc...

By yer short description, I don't see a reason, Yet, to replace the motor....

Have ya done a Compression test on it,..??

rockeater

Cadet

Sorry for the delay in response. It is a salt water engine and I have not done a compression check on it. I did start the motor prior to tearing it down and she fired right up with good throttle response. However, the previous owner never winterized it or covered the boat. This boat was never taken care of, which is why leaning toward a used engine or a long block. To add insult to injury, the lower unit skeg is ground off (from hitting boat ramp) and the prop was destroyed.

Rock