88 88spl water pump supplies

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK besides the actual water pump repair kit what else will I need to replace the water pump? (silicone,grease.specialty tools)

Any thing else I should look at will the lower case is off?

If I drain the gear case will I need to fill up right away to prevent surface rust?

I've seen a video link where the guy puts the impellor on the shaft and works the housing on the impellor.My service manual says to put the impellor in the housing and slide the whole thing on the shaft.Which way will be the best way to do this?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 88 88spl water pump supplies

there is an o ring on top of the driveshaft,you might want to get a new one,it protects the driveshaft splines anf fits in a groove on top of driveshaft,look at the water pickup screen,if its broke ,this is the time to change it,they become brittle and crack,you want to get some moly lube or a grease that wont break down from heat and water,amsoil makes one,it is used to lube driveshaft splines,they video you saw is the easiest way to put impeller in,i put a small bit of grease around the impeller housing,rest the housing on top of the impeller and while pushing dowanward with lite pressure,turn the shaft clockwise,the housing should slide down,be sure the oring seal on bottom of housing stays in place,you can use a gasket glue to hold it,i grease every bolt thread i replace,i wouldnt drain the lower oil until i m ready to replace,you could drain and wait to fill especially if screws are in,but,thats a good way to forget to refill,I once worked at a shop,the owners son was doing the lowerunits,he forgot to refill one friday,the eng sold on monday,the son was not there I installed on the guys boat and 15 minutes the new owner was back,not happy.I caught hell for it,but,come on,I wasnt expecting the SON to do a gearcase/water impeller job and not fill the gearcase,anyway,thats my story for today.Drain/fill immediatly.