88 125 Force any ideas

pgattuso

Cadet
Does any one know how to correctly set the timing on this 125. When I set the scribe marks at idle to align the motor runs rough, however if I go 4 or 5 deg btdc it smooths. Should marks align? What is correct carb setting 3/4 turn from seat, plugs always seem wet? The engine runs ok but will die when accelerating, won't restart until cool, usually starts right up when 1st started after obligatory force fart.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 125 Force any ideas

Do you have a manual?A manual is a must.<br />Correct carb setting is 3/4 turn if it is the highspeed adj. then adjust to best running setting at speed.When motor stalls and wont start check spark.Usually stumbling,bogging down lack of power can be traced to a fuel delivery problem.Check everything from the carbs to the tank.It would seem spark is ok or it wouldnt start well when cold. Sorry to be so vague but Im not familiar with your motor.<br /> Good luck.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a manual for sale near the top of the <br />page.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Your model is 32 degrees BTC. A bulletin was released advising 30 if using poorer fuel. I always use mid grade or better. Carbs at 3/4 turn is a starting place to get a higher rev. Mine are 8/16 and the other is at 9/16 of a turn. DON'T fart start. Thru a drilled hole in the carb deflector plate<br />spray some premix till you can fix the problem. Saves a lot of wear and tear. :cool:

pgattuso

Cadet

Thanks for the reply(S). I have the Seloc manual but they are not clear on timing setting only 32 deg at WOT. The police visited me when attempting the othr day. I realize there are variations on the markings of Force engines. It would seem the lines should align at idle speed but this setting does not seem to work. Engine misses alot at this setting. There is another line which I assume is WOT. <br />Thanks

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Does the gas drain from the carbs overnight? Means there is air entering or the check valve is leaking down. Was the only change that you did from last year the timing?

pgattuso

Cadet

Sony <br />Gas does not drain off overnight.<br />This is a new power head to me, timing screw was unscrewed when I installed.