87 'rude 50 hp question

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've aquired a 1987 50 hp evinrude that I want to put on a 76 14 ft chrysler hull. Currently, there is a 45 hp chrysler hanging on the back of the boat. The control box and cables for the 'rude are a LOT shorter than the cables for the chrysler. <br /> 1. Should I be able to to just change the rod ends on the chrysler cables to make the rude work?<br /> 2. Chrysler has batt, points, coil type ign. Rude, is different. What wires go where on the ign switch to make it run?

G DANE

Commander
Re: 87 'rude 50 hp question

Dont know about the Chrysler/Evinrude control box combatibility. Better use the Evinrude control, used cables show up at Ebay all the time, for next to nothing. But if the 50 is running right, you will be surprised with the power increase. The old Chryslers were ( optimistic too ) rated at the cranckshaft uppersite to Evinrude who rated at the propeller since start of eighties. The thru-hub exhaust is a good feature too. A running Chrysler is a good motor too, but the 50 loopers were fine and very economic motors.

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 'rude 50 hp question

I've been in the boat that the evinrude came off of. Yup, lot's better than the chrysler. plus, the rude has TNT. :D <br />I know that the rude needs an impeller. It pumps water good but is a few years old. Any advice on what to expect? I've done the chrysler a couple of times, but the chrysler was built for us know-nothing home mechanics.