87 Reinel took on a lot of freshwater.

Susanmen

Recruit
We got a call from the marina this morning, our boat was taking on water. When we got her out of the water, we found a leak at the tie down bracket. Since the water was about a 1/3 of the way up the engine cover, and batteries underwater. Once the water was pumped out, she started up just fine, although we only drove her as far as the ramp. No, we didn't have an auto bilge pump, yes, we do have one now. What do we need to do to make sure she'll be ok?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 87 Reinel took on a lot of freshwater.

I would have a close look and see exactly how high the water was in relation to the engine. Then inspect as needed.
I know starters do not like being submerged.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a leak at the tie down could indicate a rotten transom. I would have that checked first before investing any money in other repairs.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

To protect the engine you need first to check for water in the oil. pull the dip stick and check the color. Presence of water will make the oil look milky. If it is OK next you need to get any other water out of the engine. If there is water in the crank case change the oil and retest. The best way to do this is to run the engine for a good while making sure that it gets up to operating temperature - then run it some more checking for water in the crank case as described above. The obvious key here is to get any water out.

Then check for rot as others have pointed out. And somewhere along the line check out any other thing electrical that may have gotten under water.