87 Johnson 30

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hi, 2 questions. I have a 87 Johnson 30hp short with electric start remote engine. 1st q.....trim and tilt seems to be non-existent for that motor, anyone have a line on a decent cmc used one? Also, stock tach seems to be tough to find as well. Anyone know of a cheap auto one that I can use just to prop it correctly? It doesn't need to be permanently mounted just one for propping.....it's a 2 cylinder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Don't think those ever came with one. Look to the aftermarket as panther and CMC both make small units. As far as a tach that should be easy. Either find a timing light with the 2 strk function. Or buy a cheap tach off of ebay

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of people use a TinyTach on these motors.
As far as trim, remember that adding a unit will increase the weight right on the transom. I considered adding one to my 1448 but decided the added weight would hurt performance too much. I’m 67 and can still tilt it manually fairly easily.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of people use a TinyTach on these motors.
As far as trim, remember that adding a unit will increase the weight right on the transom. I considered adding one to my 1448 but decided the added weight would hurt performance too much. I’m 67 and can still tilt it manually fairly easily.
Tilting it is fine....and I'm 60. The problem is I have a helm in the front and I beach it a lot. Running back tripping over everything as I approach the beach is getting quite old.

What a tiny tach?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Something like this?

Tachometer for Small Engine,Inductive Hour Meter for 2 Stroke & 4 Stroke Small Engine, Timorn Replaceable Battery Waterproof Tachometer for Chainsaw Marine ATV Motorcycle UTV Engine (Black) https://a.co/d/fLJaUKV

tphoyt

Ensign
Well I’m in Mass but I do have have a CMC PT 35 that I’m sure I will never use at this point in life. I don’t have the trim switch but I’m sure they are available or you could rig something up. i would be willing to send it your way for the cost of shipping it weights a bit over 20#. If your interested send me a PM.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Well I’m in Mass but I do have have a CMC PT 35 that I’m sure I will never use at this point in life. I don’t have the trim switch but I’m sure they are available or you could rig something up. i would be willing to send it your way for the cost of shipping it weights a bit over 20#. If your interested send me a PM.

I forgot how to send a pm....what button is it?

I'll definitely take you up on your offer and thank you.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Sweet tim....and thank you. I plan to pay it forward and my prop thanks you.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_223533639.jpg
    IMG_20231114_223533639.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That Motor does have a Shallow Water Mechanism, with a bit of thought, and some MacGyvering, a way to move the Tilt/Trim Lock Lever from the Helm could be devised