87 Capri Restoriation

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice
So I have had this boat since the middle of summer. I had it on the water once and it dies about 200yds off shore. Had her towed back in and that is
when the fun began. Took it to a nearby marina. Found th fuel pump diaphram
was warped. replaced it and got it running. Ran a compression check, results were not good. #3 and #4 had less than 10psi of compression. Piston rings are gone on #4. Pulled the power head and disassembled. Its a mess and a force.

For the last few month I lost my motivation to work on her. I did start to pull the old floor up, or what I thought was the old floor. One of the PO's covered
the original with new plywood, joy. For the last week while it has been below
freezing I decided it was time. So this saturday, after a week of true, hard research, the time has come to truly start the restoration. It starts on saturday and I will post pics. Any advice and suggestions will be welcome as I go through this fun.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 87 Capri Restoriation

Day one is over. Removed the bump strip and snaps for cover. Removed the engine mount and cleared thr transom area for inspection. Just as I thought, and pretty much what I expected, the transom is slop. I think I will remove the last 2 1/2 feet of the cap, instead of the whole cap. But I will need to make room to get to the back of the floor.

How or what do I do to fill the wholes left by the snap rivits?

Tom

The Boat
theboat.jpg

Transom
DSC03484.jpg

Transom 2
DSC03481.jpg

Inside of Transom
DSC03486.jpg

Some of the interior
DSC03485.jpg

I will clean out the inside and do some more tommorow and post more

I may pop the rear of the cap, weather dependant

Bondo

Staff member

How or what do I do to fill the wholes left by the snap rivits?

Ayuh,... Once you get to the point of laying glass,+ resin,...
You can mix a batch of peanutbutter to fill those holes...

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I redid a floor on my old '89 Maxum.. The set-up was almost identical to your Bayliner. One thing i cant understand is why they glass the seat bases to the hull like that. Its a huge pain getting them out. Are you going to stick with lounge seats or you going to go with captain seats w/ aluminum pedistals? My advice is to take your time and do one thing at a time. If you start rushing your gonna feel overwhelmed

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

I redid a floor on my old '89 Maxum.. The set-up was almost identical to your Bayliner. One thing i cant understand is why they glass the seat bases to the hull like that. Its a huge pain getting them out. Are you going to stick with lounge seats or you going to go with captain seats w/ aluminum pedistals? My advice is to take your time and do one thing at a time. If you start rushing your gonna feel overwhelmed

As of now we are planning on keeping the lounge chairs.

This is My plan of attack

1 - Cut and pull the cap

2 - Replace the transom

3 - Replace the stringers, floor, console wood, flotation boxes, etc

4 - re-install and glass the cap

5 - remove the windshields, hand rails and remaining trim

6 - sand and re-gel the cap and hull

7 - repower and re wire

8 - complete the interior

9 - drink a beer and enjoy the view

10 - Go play on the water

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow! You're off to a great start. Actually, the deck looks good. So before tearing it all up, check it out with a hole saw. Drill a few 2" inspection holes to check for wet foam and rotten stringers. If things are nice and dry under the deck, just epoxy the round hole plugs back in.

Those Bayliners have nicely designed hulls and as such, they tend to handle very well. Once you rebuild it, it will be a fun boat to have.​

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! You're off to a great start. Actually, the deck looks good. So before tearing it all up, check it out with a hole saw. Drill a few 2" inspection holes to check for wet foam and rotten stringers. If things are nice and dry under the deck, just epoxy the round hole plugs back in.

Those Bayliners have nicely designed hulls and as such, they tend to handle very well. Once you rebuild it, it will be a fun boat to have.​

Unfortunately the floor you are seeing is something a PO covered the original
with. The floor near the stern is soft at best. Part of it fell apart when I started to pull the floor, the foam is mushy as well. On the flipside, the part of the stern under the splash well looks ok.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

The stern part of the cap is off. Was easier than I expected.

DSC03496.jpg

The transom looked difficult, but now that I can get to it, it does not look like it will be overly difficult to replace

DSC03497.jpg

I am done for this weekend. The transom measures about 3/4''. Is it ok to make it 1"? I ordered a couple of books that were reccomended in the forums, runabout renovation and 2 books on fiberglassing.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

what do I use to laminate the wood for the transom? I have seen a couple of ways to do it. What are your opinions?

Tom

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

After a short, 7month break, I am back. Got the transom and one of the stern flotation boxes out over the weekend as well as a little more demo work in the bow. Next step is to remove the other stern flotation box and rear floor area to access the stringers. I dont think I realized what I was getting into at first. Upside is, it is one hell of a learning experience.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can DO IT!!!
Stay after IT!!! Use Ext. Grade 1/2" plywood for the transom. Use PL adhesive(Get it at Lowes) to glue the two pieces together. Then coat the whole thing with two coats of your resin. You can use either polyester or epoxy. Poly is cheaper but epoxy is stronger. USComposites.com is a good resource for your supplies. use 1708 Biaxial cloth to cover the transom(both sides and edges. Go to OOPS post on page 76 to get his recipe for "Peanut Butter to glue the transom to the outer skin of the boat and the fillet it into the sides and hull. there are lots of posts with good pics of this process here on iBoats so do some searches and check em out. As you you said a BIG learning experience but VERY satisfying work and when you are done you will have a boat that will be better than factory and will last for 40 years!!!!

Good Luck and keep those pics coming.
:D