87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
I was out running my pontoon from fishing to fishing spot this morning....... was running great no problems at all. So after the 4th or 5th start up and move I went to start the boat and NOTHING! No cranking no noise no trim no nothing. I made sure the battery was charged, it was. I popped the motor cover off and started checking all the electrical going to everything. Everything is tight no loose connections. So I took the throttle control all apart and everything was good in there. Checked the lanyard that was in there and tight. I jumped the starter with a jumper wire and boooom cranked over but would not fire! So I had to get towed in and when I got it home I also jumped the trim that works when jumped. Now theres 2 relays in a black plastic box on top near the flywheel I went to the parts store and bought 1 new relay, they only had one in stock tried replacing one at a time and still the same deal no power getting to the starter or the trim. Does anyone have a clue where to start on this? Thanks so much
 

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
1,102
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

did you check the fuse on the engine?
 

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

Nope didnt know there was a fuse all I saw were the 2 relays. Do you know aprox where the fuse is??
 

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
1,102
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

The fuse is located in the rubber connector
 

Attachments

  • fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

Thanks I will check it in a lil bit. I will let you know
 

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

That was it! Thanks alot It would of took a long time for me to find that, well hidden.
 

Craftsman_85

Seaman
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
57
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

Dont forget to buy a spare. Keeping a spare in the boat is always a good ideal.
 

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

O yea of course thanks for the help guys.
 
D

DJ

Guest
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

Negative battery terminal to engine block. If it's supect, it will blow that fuse.
 

zukonrox

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
11
Re: 87 70hp johnson vro left me stranded today NO POWER

What do you mean.........
 
Top