87 175 V6 evinrude - not going into forward gear

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
First time it went in to forward it went with a "thunk" at much to high a speed. The second time the same thing occured and that was the last time it worked. I can go into neutral and reverse just fine. Popped the top off to watch it shift gears as I move the throttle. From all appearances it is moving the shift portion at the base of the engine into forward. It moves equally well for revers and neutral. When I do try to put into forward while running the throttle starts grinding and it wont go in. Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 175 V6 evinrude - not going into forward gear

Jacob....I ask first what your idle rpms are. Anything much over 900 is fast. <br /><br />Try removing the shift cable at the motor and shift it manually at the motor and see if it still grinds. Keep in mind that the shift should be crisply done...meaning....don't mess with it....get it in gear. Slow shifting lets the lobes on the clutch and gear bounce of each other. Thats' what the grinding is you hear. This type of shifting also destroys the edges on the lobes, rounding them off. Sever rounding will let the gear and clutch dog jump out of gear at elevated rpms.<br /><br />But.....back to the problem....slow the idle speed down and try shifting from the engine as mentioned above and see if it stays in and dosen't grind. If it shifts ok....problem may be in the shift cable adjustment.<br /><br />Keep us posted as to what you find out.