86 XR2 150, quit running, stumped.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 86 XR2 150, quit running, stumped.

The cable swap part of that is pretty definitive. If the bug moves with the wires, it's the stators. If it stays with the switchbox, that's what it is.

hope it helps
John

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The cable swap part of that is pretty definitive. If the bug moves with the wires, it's the stators. If it stays with the switchbox, that's what it is.

hope it helps
John

I switched the red, blue, blk/yel, wires. on the boxes. And the spark moved from 2,4,6 to the other side 1,3,5. I think that is what you meant right? So Pretty sure it is switch box.

too many thank yous.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Perhaps I misunderstand what you said you did, but it seems that you moved the wires and the spark moved to the other bank. If that is so, then the below would apply.

If the bug moves with the wires, it's the stators.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perhaps I misunderstand what you said you did, but it seems that you moved the wires and the spark moved to the other bank. If that is so, then the below would apply.

yep, would be the stator.

j_martin

Admiral

From the original wiring, swap just the stator wires from one box to the next. Red and red/w swap, blue and blue/w swap. Don't move any other wires.

If the bug moves, it's the stator
If it doesn't, it's something else, likely switchbox.

It sounds like you did that. The black/yellow is the kill circuit and the wires are connected together anyway, so it doesn't matter.

hope it helps
John

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From the original wiring, swap just the stator wires from one box to the next. Red and red/w swap, blue and blue/w swap. Don't move any other wires.

If the bug moves, it's the stator
If it doesn't, it's something else, likely switchbox.

It sounds like you did that. The black/yellow is the kill circuit and the wires are connected together anyway, so it doesn't matter.

hope it helps
John

Yeah, I got in a blow b/c my dealer closes early today, and bought a switch box. Really needed the stator.:eek: bummer. will have to go swap it out monday i suppose.

John, on several of the wires running from the stator to the switch boxes, the wire insulation has crumbled, showing exposed wires. I covered them up with electrical tape just for the time being. But Now that I need a stator they will be new now anyways. But my question is, Do you think that could have been the initial cause of the stator failure? This motor had the largest mousie nest in it i've ever seen when I first got it opened up. I've had to cover several wires that were mouse chewed to begin with. Good and bad at the same time that I have to replace them now i suppose.

What do I need to pull the flywheel? I have the neccesary tools to pull smaller flywheels, but not this reverse threaded wheel on the 150, do you know of any substitute for this part? As i would rather perform this work myself, than have a dealer do it. The only "plug" puller i've found was on amazon for around 30 bucks. But if i knew the thread size etc. I may be able to get something else to work?

P.S.

IF I was an outboard dealer, or any kind of powersport dealer at all, I think my days off would be tuesday, wednesday... not saturday, sunday... Seems to me you would get most of your business on those days anyway!!!

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, is there any chance of damaging the crank when pulling the flywheel? Any advise that may help me out while performing this work?

j_martin

Admiral

Also, is there any chance of damaging the crank when pulling the flywheel? Any advise that may help me out while performing this work?

There is only one proper way to pull the flywheel, and it protects both the flywheel and the crank.

And yes, mouse organic solvents can really raise heck with the likes of a stator.

Attachments

• flywheel puller_.jpg
    flywheel puller_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Attached below are the flywheel removal instructions from the Mercury shop manual for my motor. This might be of help to you as the procedure for removing your motor's flywheel is likely similar.

Attachments

• Flywheel Removal Instructions.jpg
    Flywheel Removal Instructions.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Flywheel Puller.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea, my dad was helping me and kant read well ya know,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see that there are several sizes of pullers. I think J's is 1-1\2 as it measures 1.435 on the i.d. that would allow for aprox .035 per side for threads. I have found the 1-1\2 pullers on ebay for about 40$....... I think one can spend the price for a new motor REAL quick???????? Not even on parts........

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I will go to the shop and make one if I have any 1-1\2 cold rolled stock

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

0808001529.jpg

Cold rolled worked excellent. Tungsten Carbide is only neccesary for removing 50 flywheels an hour. =) We hope to only need this part twice... ever...

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do the yellow wires off of the stator go? They connect to a small box above the switch boxes. Was unsure of what that box did exactly.

Thank you for your help john you have been more than helpful in this project and we really appreciate your time.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hkeiner, don't think you are left out,,,,, Thanks to you also.

Thanks to ALL that respond... Keeps boating affordable for us:) even though we dont have a good manual yet. The practical experience you guys bring is TOPS and easy to understand

j_martin

Admiral

Where do the yellow wires off of the stator go? They connect to a small box above the switch boxes. Was unsure of what that box did exactly.

Thank you for your help john you have been more than helpful in this project and we really appreciate your time.

Battery charger. The little black box with 3 terminals is the rectifier.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the stator ordered, will be here thursday prolly. So hopefully this thing will be ready to get back on the water!

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, was the stator... seems to go ok for now...I helped put it in. I was the one holding the hammer.................

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the oiler was successfuly removed