86 mercury 75hp spark issues

James_69r

Cadet
Hi I recently got a boat with a 75hp mercury outboard on the back. Was told it has a slight miss and needed to sort it out.
I have done compression test and all were 142-151psi.
have done a spark test and here is what I found.
Only cylinder number 1 was sparking. I tested each plug and lead and all sparked when plugged on coil number 1...
then randomly i got spark on 1 and 2...
I thought it was the coils so Pulled them off and rearranged the order. I tried the bad coils in the good coils position and the coils sparked so the problem is before the coils

what's the most likely problem? The stator, trigger or power pack? And how do I check which one is faulty? Resistance check the trigger and the stator?

Burris87

Recruit
Make sure you check the Killswitch wire for voltage. It should not have voltage or you won't get spark. If there's voltage then the ignition key switch to the motor is grounding the kill circuit somewhere. Disconnect and see if it Sparks. Worth looking at. Past that a dva will tell all.

James_69r

Cadet
If the kill switch was grounded I wouldn't get spark on any of the cylinders though? Still I'll check it out worth the extra 5 10 minutes

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried the simplest solution of cleaning each connections of the bad coils.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Swap the other two coils to the 1 position. If you get spark go after stator. If you don't go after CDI. Might stick them back where they were and try it just in case it was a corroded connector to the CDIs......supports the dirty connector mentioned by "hI".