'86 L115 Lower Unit gear lube leak

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '86 L115 Lower Unit gear lube leak

But how does that relate to the 'feeler gauge' measurements they are showing in the service manual?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Deer, You may reshim the waterpump base if you want. If not, you can just reuse the shims, if there are any.

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

if you have a flush plug you will have to remove it also before you pry the water pump base out it screws into the water pump and will not allow the base to come out i am fighting the same problem with my 69 650 but i also have a bad drive shaft deeply grooved and pitted i didnt drive the seals as deep and got on better shafy it help so far

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

forgot to tell you also my water tube has what looks like a peice of garden hose on it it just slides over the tube and just fits inside the water pump put on a short peice and pull it down the tube this extends the tube and you can put the end into the water pump and when you slide it all up the hose slides up the tube and guides it into the water pump works great and makes it much easier to line evrything up

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, it was the waterpump!! I removed the lower unit to have the skeg repaired and also inspected the pump. I have a new pump housing kit and will be installing it shortly.