86 Johnson gt 200

Bjbmacon

Recruit
Hi guys! New here! I have a 86 Johnson gt 200 v6 that is bogging under throttle. I’m being told that the power packs are bad and firing the cylinders at the wrong time and they are weak. Is this true? Or is it like anything else it either works or it doesn’t?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on all leads?------If the motor is new to you post the compression test results here.----If battery is old or starter motor is weak there will not be a strong spark.----Flywheel must turn fast to generate a strong spark.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys! New here! I have a 86 Johnson gt 200 v6 that is bogging under throttle. I’m being told that the power packs are bad and firing the cylinders at the wrong time and they are weak. Is this true? Or is it like anything else it either works or it doesn’t?
Being told by who?

Bogging down sounds more fuel related.

Bjbmacon

Recruit
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on all leads?------If the motor is new to you post the compression test results here.----If battery is old or starter motor is weak there will not be a strong spark.----Flywheel must turn fast to generate a strong spark.
Motor will start and run. But in the water under throttle it will bog down til it dies.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to provide information for folks to help you fix this !----Does spark jump a gap of at least 3/8" on all 6 leads , yes or no ?----Post the compression numbers.------Running with tested VRO in service ?----Or premix at 50:1 ratio.----Water pump impeller replaced ?----Flywheel key checked ?

Bjbmacon

Recruit
Need to provide information for folks to help you fix this !----Does spark jump a gap of at least 3/8" on all 6 leads , yes or no ?----Post the compression numbers.------Running with tested VRO in service ?----Or premix at 50:1 ratio.----Water pump impeller replaced ?----Flywheel key checked ?
I did give information. I had it looked at. The guy who diagnosed it said everything was fine. Except the power packs. He said the packs were weak and they were firing at the wrong time under throttle. My ? Was can a power pack work that way or is it that it works or it doesn’t?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if the motor stars and runs.... seems like the pack firing sequence is fine and sparks are happenning as they should from good coils.

that brings you back to the above questions. the alternative is to change the pack hoping the "guy" will take them back if it is not the solution.

throttling higher requires more energy ( from fuel) and to little won't do much and to much will drown it . .....may as well answer the doctor's questions.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not know your mechanic.----I can not see , feel or hear your motor.----You need to provide exact information , answers to questions.----Perhaps find a good shop at $100 + / hr if you can find one to work on a 37 year old motor.----Good luck with it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just take the advice of your mechanic and ignore us here.-------Install powerpack off AMAZON and go fishing