86 Evinrude 50hp carb leak

fishtails

Cadet
Hi Everyone,
First post here, so please bear with me as I am a newbie. I just got done pulling my 1968 85hp Johnson V4 and installing an 1986 Evinrude 50hp twin M/N E50TLCDE on my antique 1968 Starcraft Daytona 17 footer. Built new battery cables, installed new control cables and got her running after some control box issues with the neutral safety switch. Previous posts helped me with this big time - thanks to all OMC control box & motor will not start posters. So I started it with the muffs on and the cover off and it ran pretty good - but then I noticed gas spewing out of the side of the carbs. It looks like there are 1/4 inch diameter screens on the starboard side of the carbs where it was leaking. Does anyone know if these are supposed to be plugged or why it would leak there? My guess is stuck or destroyed floats. A couple of things to note: I bought this motor in the spring after the P.O. test ran the motor for me - but he nor I thought about disconnecting the fuel line to drain the carbs while the motor was running, so fuel sat in them all summer. Could the ethanol destroy the floats? I also did not change out the fuel line from the tank, which could be a larger diameter for the old V4 than the new 50hp twin should have - the fuel line is only about 2 years old, but could the larger diameter hose allow too much flow for the twin carbs? I read all the posts I could find on carb gas leaks and guess I should probably rebuild the carbs and check for built up gunk, but if there are plugs or covers for these screens on the carbs I would rather try that first. Also does anyone know if there are brass floats available for this model? If I am going to rebuild these I really only want to do this once! Thanks in advance for any help. Fishtails :>)

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 86 Evinrude 50hp carb leak

The screens on the side of carb are there for a reason,leave them be. You are right in the needles and seats, replace them. New floats too. Look at T.D'S Top Secret File.