86 bayliner 19ft capri. bimini top anyone ?

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 86 19ft bayliner capri open bow never measured for top because i didnt want to spend that much money for one but now kicking my ***** cause of the sale on here. Does anyone know the measurments that owns similar boat and has one ?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 86 bayliner 19ft capri. bimini top anyone ?

check out my sig, thats the one i went with. measuring it is really easy, and that way you can determine what you want shaded or not. always go bigger, you wont regret the extra shade in the summer.

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow thanks wingmaster those are cheap i'll def have to get one.
Red4x4 ive seen yours before on other post and thought it looked good so yea im deaf gonna try to get one that fits like yours looks

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok lil confused if anyone can help. just went to order a top and i have to listings for the beam width of boat one is 7'6" and other is 7'4" so not sure on that but as far as i understand they work within 6 inches anyway so next problem is here from iboats there saying i need one that is 73" to 78" wide and another site saying 85" to 90". and with my crappy math i think the right one is 85" to 90" but why would they be two totally different listing ?

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok lil confused if anyone can help. just went to order a top and i have to listings for the beam width of boat one is 7'6" and other is 7'4" so not sure on that but as far as i understand they work within 6 inches anyway so next problem is here from iboats there saying i need one that is 73" to 78" wide and another site saying 85" to 90". and with my crappy math i think the right one is 85" to 90" but why would they be two totally different listing ?

The 85-90 should be correct. That is what I have for my boat (1996 19' Capri)

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I am thinking about a bimini top for my 85 19ft. Capri, and measured today.

I noticed that the windows are angled towards the inside of the boat, and it
would be possible to put a bimini on the inside or outside of the side windows.
The inward angle of the windows would complicate a bimini on the inside,
because the mounting poles would also have to be angled towards the inside.
That could work, but the width of the top size would have to be less than what
would be optimum for the boat.

I think that mounting the bimini outside of the windows, as shown in a pic,
is the better placement. Looks like that would require side mounts,
instead of top mounts, and that method would also result in a wider top and more
shaded coverage. The 85" plus width sounds right, because the width inside of the
windows was about 78". I think I'll go with a 36" high mounted outside of
the windows, but I want to measure again.

Thanks for posting the pic with the mounts outside of the windows.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I went with the outside mounts and it works fine, throws more shade too. Go with the longest one because you always want more shade. I used a little taller one too since I am 6'1" and like to stand up sometimes to steer.

Joe

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can I see where you mounted the hardware please, I have the factory top that snaps to the windshield but there is no hardware to attach the poles to.

I have a 87 Capri also.

I think we would like to see how she looks anyway :)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Can I see where you mounted the hardware please, I have the factory top that snaps to the windshield but there is no hardware to attach the poles to.

I have a 87 Capri also.

I think we would like to see how she looks anyway :)

poles for the factory top like yours mount inside the windshield to the gunnels. Theres a slide track piece about 6" long and some special mounts. Most of that stuff can be found on ebay, but your probably better off getting an aftermarket one unless you want yours attached to the windshield. only problem with that is you are forced to sit down and operate the boat and headroom is gone.

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

poles for the factory top like yours mount inside the windshield to the gunnels. Theres a slide track piece about 6" long and some special mounts. Most of that stuff can be found on ebay, but your probably better off getting an aftermarket one unless you want yours attached to the windshield. only problem with that is you are forced to sit down and operate the boat and headroom is gone.

Yeah I dont see that hardware unless I am looking at the 2 plastic pieces that are attached on the inside side rails as handles but it does not seem that the width is correct to place it inside. The factory top bottom poles have a different type of an adapter than I am used to seeing that do fit into the handle type plastic, the only reason I want to be able to mount the factory top is for overnight stays because I have the Bow and Stern cover that closes the boat off. I will be getting one of the larger Bimini tops from the link in this thread for daily trips and use the factory for those over nights.

I am taking a trip to lanier tomorrow or Friday to look for some parts so maybe I will get a better idea when I am there.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I dont see that hardware unless I am looking at the 2 plastic pieces that are attached on the inside side rails as handles but it does not seem that the width is correct to place it inside. The factory top bottom poles have a different type of an adapter than I am used to seeing that do fit into the handle type plastic, the only reason I want to be able to mount the factory top is for overnight stays because I have the Bow and Stern cover that closes the boat off. I will be getting one of the larger Bimini tops from the link in this thread for daily trips and use the factory for those over nights.

I am taking a trip to lanier tomorrow or Friday to look for some parts so maybe I will get a better idea when I am there.

those are them, they are not handles. The poles bend inboard of the windshield. then at the bottom of the poles is a 2-piece connector that attaches to the "handles". That is where the room for adjustment comes from, sliding fore and aft on the handle looking pieces. I have all the camper canvas as well for my boat, but i dont have the poles either so i have never used it.

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those are them, they are not handles. The poles bend inboard of the windshield. then at the bottom of the poles is a 2-piece connector that attaches to the "handles". That is where the room for adjustment comes from, sliding fore and aft on the handle looking pieces. I have all the camper canvas as well for my boat, but i dont have the poles either so i have never used it.

Awesone, thanks!!!

blueshark

Recruit

:confused: Hello does anybody know of an installation on a 1986 Bayliner Capri 1952 cutty cabin for a Bimini top as it looks to me the Bimini top would have to be installed with the mounting point on the outside of the boat, there is plenty of room on the inside on the side rails, but the windows slant to the inside, would this prevent an inside mounting point? found your link to the Bimini tops on sale, thanks.

Downforce6

Seaman

lol, yeah dealing with this today. I have a 17' 92 Capri.. The Inside window slant is screwing me up.

I'm going to mount on the outside of the window I guess, looks like there is enough room but just barely, and not exactly what I intended. I also didn't get a long enough length, went with 60" and I really wish it was at least another foot long. This is my 2nd top as I winged the measurments last year thinking there was enough play and had to send one back and pay the restock fee.

I measured this year and still couldn't get it right, lol. Went with the 73-78 W", 60" L and 36" H. This width will work for my 17' but like I said, the center mount is going to have to be outside the window. 60" was shorter than I would have liked, but I guess it will work. It will cover the back to back seats barely. The 36" H I thought was right on the money for what I wanted.

We will see, maybe i'll post a pic later for the next guy that goes thru this.

Downforce6

Seaman

Bimini Top 001.jpgBimini Top 002.jpgBimini Top 003.jpgBimini Top 004.jpgBimini Top 005.jpg

Should have got one with the top up, lol. I'm happy with it, really wish it was about a foot longer, but its not too bad.