86 125HP Force Power Trim/Tilt Problem

BylrBill

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
3
New to iboats and being a boat owner. My power trim/tilt unit is giving me a challenge. When I tilt the motor up it will slowly lower(10-15 min. later) back down to the resting bracket. I've read other posts(lots of great info) on the subject and was just wondering if it is the o-rings needing to be replaced in the cylinders(they look like shock absorbers to me)? The trim/tilt motor runs fine and it is full with fluid.
Any info you have on this problem would be great.
Thanks
Bill
 

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Re: 86 125HP Force Power Trim/Tilt Problem

It sounds like the rings need replaced, yes they look like shocks. You have to screw the top off and pull the piston out. Hope this helps. Good luck
 

BylrBill

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
3
Re: 86 125HP Force Power Trim/Tilt Problem

Thanks Rosco. Just wanted to make sure. I read a post here about finding the O-Rings at dougrussell.com. Do you think a Napa or Hydraulic repair shop would have O-Rings that would work?

Thanks again for the input.
 

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Re: 86 125HP Force Power Trim/Tilt Problem

I have been told that you can match them at a hardware store also. I would try napa or the other first.
Good luck
 

BylrBill

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
3
Re: 86 125HP Force Power Trim/Tilt Problem

Thanks. Got the rings and put them on the one cylinder that the hyrdro lines go into. Does bleed down nearly as fast but still does a little. Does the other cylinder the one without hydro lines need to have the rings replaced? I fgured that was more just a dampner for support than anything since there is no fluid running into it.
 
Top