86-125 force loosing power @ WOT

new frustrated boater

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2
Hello, i was recently given a 1986 19.5' bayliner cuddy w/ a '86 125 mercury force. I am having problems with running WOT. After about 5 minutes, engine starts losing power, then it will surge a couple of times, sometimes it might 'cough' then it will eventually loose power all together. I have had the carbs and the fuel pump re-built. Compression testing revealed 125, 135, 140, 125 in that order from top to bottom. Have replaced the spark plugs and checked the fuel to make sure there was no water in it. (boat was not used much, not covered well and kept in the water before I got it) :confused:
 

PESKY1

Cadet
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
8
Re: 86-125 force loosing power @ WOT

Hello frustrated, I've got the same boat and motor except mine is an 85. I just had a problem similar to this and it turned out to be the stator. I've had my boat 3 years and this is the second one I've replaced. Mine was cutting out to about 1/2 power as if 2 cylinders were not firing. It would surge back and forth between 1/2 and full power. I believe it is the same for you. If Robby reads this post, he may concur.
 

new frustrated boater

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2
Re: 86-125 force loosing power @ WOT

Thanks Pesky,<br />I was afraid of that. I'll wait and see if Robby replies, before I spend the $300 bucks.<br />frustrated
 
Top