85HP Force Outboard troubleshooting (late 80's model)

I recently purchased my first boat and have had a heck of a time trying to get use to it. My friend who is somewhat boat savy went with me to pick it up ('88 17' bayliner capri) and he was able to start it right up no problems. Matter fact when he turns the key the boat starts everytime, but "call me a novice" I can't get the darn thing to start myself. I pump the bulb til it gets rock hard, put throttle up (out of gear or course), hold key in to choke for 5-8 sec., then turn to start while holding the key in. All I have been able to get is either a backfire (which I assumed it was from the boat leaning forward where it is parked making the gas move forward in the gas tank rather than bow upwards in the air) or I get what sounds like it wants to kick over but doesn't. But then I will try again to start right after and it seems to me that I am flooding the carbs for fuel is seen dripping from the bottom gas line to the carbs. Reading my screen name you would know that I am new to boating and really have no idea where to go from here except taking it into a shop and "forking over" dollars that I feel I could possibly save if its an easy fix. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Boating (well for ya'll, not me right now)!!

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 85HP Force Outboard troubleshooting (late 80's model)

Get your friend to show you the ropes. It's worth a beer.

He bounced outta town for the weekend or I would have. The beer goes to me now! haha

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You sure the choke is working when you hold the key in.J

As far as I know the choke is working. The motor does start even after it has been sitting for a couple days, just not when I hold/turn the key. Could it possibly need a tune up?? and if so, what all would need to be replaced?

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok I got a 89 17ft maxum same thing as a bayliner, right next to my key i have a lanyard (kill switch) its on a rope right under my key and i got big hands so i sometime knock that a tiny bit to one side gotta make sure its tight and clicked in nd it will turn but wont spark i belive it shuts off it off at the cdi.

I'll try pulling the lanyard off and re-position it back of the kill switch. It also seems to be backfiring now at first turn of the key. Would that indicate that not enough fuel or possibly just fumes are igniting. Last time my friend started the boat I had to lift the front of the trailier sky high and it started, but the gas gauge says (and it should be accurate since I just put upwards of 12 gallons in) it is 3/4 full. Is it just the way the boat is sitting in my driveway possibly? I would think the boat would start up just fine it is on a flat plane right? I might just have to wait for my friend to get back in town. Thanks for the replys folks!!

foodfisher

Captain

Just don't tinker yourself into trouble.

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well if your lifting the front trailer i presume the engine is pinned up? try putting the engine down if its not