850 Merc

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
What year case as different upper bearings? Do you have the shim tools to reassemble it or going to sub out to dealer? Since yours busted from water intrusion hows your bearings and gears look??rusted?pitted?You cannot just swap "guts" and not a DIY project if you don't have special tools.The parts motor looking better as you will spend way more to have this built by a dealer. It takes about 5 hours to build one..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed------Assembling a gearcase requires some tools / skill.-----Not the same as installing new sparkplugs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Your old lower unit casting should have this same number..if not need to find a GOOD mechanic to guide you.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
found a complete motor on CL for 700.00 that’s 20 minutes from me. Looks like I’m going to get that one. Still may have the lower unit done and my original motor on standby for any issues down the road. This one on CL is a 90hp but should be fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It will be a 6 cylinder.-----Should work for you.-------Does this 90 run ?

The Force power

Commander
the Seller is going to run it for me before pulling it off the boat.

Is the seller going to show the motor running in a test-tank / Lake / on hose?
When it's running, pull one plug-wire off at the time to see if there's a drop in RPM's (to verify if its running on all cylinders)
IF...possible take a compression-reading of all Cylinders, these motors will run on / "sound good" running on a hose on half its Cylinder capacity

Be beware of scammers!!! $700 dollars is a lot!! it better be in very good condition & not just a parts motor worth $200 (depending on the amount of salvage-parts)

Last edited:

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The seller stated he would put it in a tank to run it for me. Still attached to the boat and I can start it, put it in gear etc. before he removes it. I found another on FB the guy wanted 900 for it than changed the price to 1,000 because he felt it was priced too low. Needless to say I’m not that enthusiastic about either at the moment.

The Force power

Commander
The seller stated he would put it in a tank to run it for me. Still attached to the boat and I can start it, put it in gear etc. before he removes it. I found another on FB the guy wanted 900 for it than changed the price to 1,000 because he felt it was priced too low. Needless to say I’m not that enthusiastic about either at the moment.

Just be patient, the worst thing is rush into buying, don't forget; the season is just starting and there's lots of people that have to "off-load"

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I made the trek up north and grabbed the damaged lower unit. Going through a schematic now for parts I’m going to need to replace for assembly. I know the stud at the front of the unit will need to be replaced. No way that bolts coming out. Looks like there are some gaskets I’ll replace. My prop is pretty beat up so I’m either replacing it with a new replacement of what’s on it or I may look for a stainless prop. I’m open to suggestions.
thanks for the responses

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the studs in the gearcase should turn out with a pipe wrench. I would worry about the pinon nut. Also, the bearing carrier retainer takes a special spanner to remove it, when the threads are not corroded off, like your's are likely.

The bearings look to be still avail, but the gears look to be NLA.

I would think a complete gearcase off Flea Bay is still the best option.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just looking at the stud I didn’t try to remove it yet so like most of the time I may be wrong.

The Force power

Commander
Like chris1956 said; look for a complete lower-unit.
Even if you can buy all the parts needed, your total cost would 3X the value of the motor